Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Type of sand?

What type of sand should I put in my brackish tank? Are there ones that are better than others?

Thanks.

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pool Filter Sand i hear is good, but i have never used it.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use PFS in my "suposedly" brackish tank (i don't maintain strictly brackish conditions).
Old 10-06-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

PFS is really great to work with in terms of convenience, but something I discovered by using it is that (white sand + dark poop = ugly tank). You really gotta keep on top of vacuuming the tank, and if you have really *anything* that is a bottom dweller, inevitably poop gets mixed in throughout the first half-inch or so of sand depth.

I have one tank in that situation right now and I hate it.

If I had it to do over again, I'd use a dark colored sand (like Tahitian Moon Sand), which is what I did in tank #3 and am much happier with the result.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use pfs in in both my ten and 50 gal tanks.Had I known about it before starting the 29 it would be in there too.

Cheap,looks good,holds plants better then you would think and easy to clean....whats not to like?Much more natural looking then the gravel imo.

90g SW FOWLR
50g tall fw planted at .6wpg
29g fw planted at 1.2 wpg
10g fw planted at 3 wpg cf
SCFatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

There is nothing "natural" looking about white sand in a freshwater tank. Not all PFS is white. If you can get some from here, http://www.redflint.com/filtration.htm ,you have an option for something different and more natural looking. The aquarium sand and PFS are the same grain size, so are the same product.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com