Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2005, 08:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not currently trying to breed anything but some are doing it on their own. I have a some cories that have eggs from time to time, angels who like to spawn and feed upon the eggs, ghost shrimp full of eggs plus guppies and platies who like to drop babies alot.
I have a pair of blue rams, a bunch of bristlenose plecos, leleupi and compressiceps that I may try to set up for breeding some day as well as the ones who have already tried.
I also have a pair of black clown fish (sw) that I would like to breed.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had my Apistos 2 weeks and they spawned. Don't tell them that the tank is still cycling.... sheesh talk about impatient fish!

The mother is really looking after them well. They are still at wriggler stage and growing quickly. It looks like a couple dozen of the lil guys. They should be free swimming soon.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a pair of kribs in my community tank. They have had one spawn that was semi-successful. A lot (15+) of the fry made it to the free swimming stage but I haven't seen any for a week. Not sure if they are hiding or got eaten by the knife fish. Hopefully some lucky fry will eventually make it. The female looks like she's getting ready again.
1 upside-down catfish
1 SAE

10 gal planted
1 female betta
1 african brown knifefish
1 SAE
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:46 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to swanandmokashi
I got dozens of white clouds frys without trying - this tank is in my office and has no plants. I added some java moss after the frys came along

I have no idea if the frys will survive, but they have for 6 days now
Fish : 10 Tiger Barbs, 2 Blue German Rams, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Rainbow shark
swanandmokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:30 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

For me, I am not particularly trying to spawn anything. Conditions just seem to be right for the serpaes in this particular tank. The tank is so thick and dense that the egg-eating cories (plus three ancistrus - don't think they'd turn them down) don't seem to find the fry.

If I was trying to breed them specifically I would definitely set up a couple of species tank, one for the adults and one for the fry. I did not realize that about the lights-out factor, Brian - good to know.

When it comes to fish like N. brichardi and kribensis, for instance, you are definitely going to have an easier time in a species only tank. Kribs and brichardi both are extremely intolerant of other fish around at spawning time, and they will make life miserable in the tank. I'd probably do the same for angels, and give the parents 3-4 spawns to see if they can handle getting the eggs to free swimming stage - some can and some just can't get it done.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 06:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Any advice how to breed cardinal tetra? I have a school of 8 right now but would love to breed my own.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com