Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2005, 03:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Types of Fish?

What types of fish are you currently breeding or attempting to breed?

* Sorry I just had to be the first post in the new forum.

greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:07 PM   #2

I currently have 3 albino bristle nose plecos I'm going to try and breed once they become of age (and once I find out of the 3 how many are males/females)

I also have 3 guppies in a 10 gallon tank of which the 2 females are pregnant. I don't have any java moss in the tank, but I do have other plants so hopefully the fry will make it on their own.

-Stewie
Old 03-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I am breeding serpae tetras, Labidochromis caeruleus and Endler's livebearers.

I am trying to separate out the morphs of the Endler's and mixing with other's stock to keep the wild strains pure, and it is not easy. Fortunately I am participating on an Endler's livebearer forum (in my sig) and I can keep in touch with many other breeders, including John Endler himself!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #4

Tankgirl, whats the method you use to make your serpae's breed? How do you tell the difference between males and females? My girlfriend has a pair of serpaes, maybe I can (under the right conditions) trigger them to spawn.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am breeding Keyhole cichlids, White Clouds and honey gouramis. I've only been succesfull at actually raising the white clouds, but my the keyhole cichlids are getting better. And the honey gouramis only have had one spawn so far.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Stewie - I really have trouble telling the genders apart, except that the females are fuller-bodied when they are ready to drop eggs. The key with them is to provide a spawning area that will allow the eggs to fall down away from where the parents could eat them, and relatively large water changes usually get things rolling, with the water a few degrees cooler.

I would imagine you would need more than just one pair to get the job done - their natural behaviors come out so much better when they are in larger groups. The female and a male can be removed to a spawning tank when she looks ready, then remove the parents afterwards.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just a general breeding question:

Aside from livebearers, when you all breed fish, do you keep them in a species-only breeding tank, or are they in a community tank? My paleatus cats will breed with regularity, but unless they have their own tank, the majority of the eggs are eaten by their tank mates.

I am also attempting to breed some kribs in a 20 and firemouths in another, but am still waiting for the fireworks....
Old 03-09-2005, 08:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's a huge difference between setting out to spawn a species and having them accidentally spawn in a community tank. TG, big hint on the serpaes. They will usually spawn just after the lights come on in the morning. Lower the water level to allow the eggs to drop into spawning area (java moss works great), when you wake in the morning, Breeders can be removed immediately following.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:00 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I will be attempting to breed my angels (see sig for details). Keeping fingers crossed.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am going to try and raise a tank or two of platies, to gain some experience in handling fry. Then I also want to give angelfish a try.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com