Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2015, 08:09 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I've used play sand. Needs a TON of rinsing but works well if you want a light colored substrate. PFS is more uniform and requires less prep.
I tried black blasting sand (TSC) and after a lot of rinsing, I noticed an oily film that I could not get rid of even after multiple water changes. I may try it again. Super inexpensive.
I am currently using Petco black sand. Uniform grain size and color, pretty light weight. Do not over rinse it; I suspect it has an "applied" coating that can rub off if rinsed/handled too roughly. I am only using a thin layer so I cannot comment on how well it holds plants in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 11-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
I've used play sand. Needs a TON of rinsing but works well if you want a light colored substrate. PFS is more uniform and requires less prep.
I tried black blasting sand (TSC) and after a lot of rinsing, I noticed an oily film that I could not get rid of even after multiple water changes. I may try it again. Super inexpensive.
I am currently using Petco black sand. Uniform grain size and color, pretty light weight. Do not over rinse it; I suspect it has an "applied" coating that can rub off if rinsed/handled too roughly. I am only using a thin layer so I cannot comment on how well it holds plants in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
That's strange I barley had to wash mine! Maybe it was a bad bag! I use petco black sand to and it was horrible I like to never got it clean and mine rubed off to

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 11-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKAY27 View Post
I use black diamond blasting sand from TSC and it is wonderful and I washed mine once. It wasn't that dirty at all! It adds a shine to the bottom! Love it also cheap! My plants grow like weeds and root very well in it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have this in all my tanks.

Yes it took quite a bit of rinsing for me but that price is unbeatable!

Caleb
Old 11-21-2015, 10:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Blasting sand seems super coarse to me though, I don't trust it with bottom dwellers. Have you found it to be an issue? I might try it.
sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinibotia View Post
Blasting sand seems super coarse to me though, I don't trust it with bottom dwellers. Have you found it to be an issue? I might try it.

none of my fish seem affected by it.

Caleb
Old 11-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

EC/Black sand combo

I used a mixture of Eco-Complete and black aquarium sand. My plants are doing great. Here's a pic so you can see how it settled over the past year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	281033  
Old 11-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Is a betta ok with the small grain gravel I use no sharp edges or should I be using sand? What do most betta people use?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 11-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmuller55 View Post
Is a betta ok with the small grain gravel I use no sharp edges or should I be using sand? What do most betta people use?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I find a high preference to sand as its cleaner and IMO looks nicer.

Small rounded gravel should be fine though.

Caleb
Old 11-23-2015, 03:52 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exigenn View Post
yea im wondering types because i want to change mine over as well as planning on getting a 50+ gallon tank within a few months, want to do it heavily planted with a bunch of pygmy corys and some type of small schooling fish like neon, but not neon lol.

So looking for something that works well with plants and wont hurt corys or maybe even some shrimp

Corydoras pygmaeus and C hastatus both spend a lot of time on plant leaves and mid water. C habrosus is the most "normal" Cory type of the 3 mini Cory species and spend more time on the bottom.

But all Cories occasionally like to stick their face in the sand. Ideally you want rounded smooth sand.

Check Craigslist as well. Several people had sand for sale or free near me.

I just set up my 55g I will be eventually stocking a big group of Cories as money allows.

This sand is very smooth. It was free from a club member. I may add Malaysian Trumpet Snails for aeration. Or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coursair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:26 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I tried blasting sandbwith corues and it didnt work out like i had hoped. It was far too sharp for them and their barbels disappeared quite quickly with it.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com