ugf and aqua filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danpas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone this is my first post and maybe a funny question but I have a 50 gallon octagon tank and I have a 50-70 gallon aqua clear filter and was wondering if it was ok or good to run a ugf along with it.. pros cons? No live plants as far as fish only two dragon gobys a small cat fish and two plancos so far. Thanks for any advice

Trying to post pics

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110201_001826.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110201_001826.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 102
  • ForumRunner_20110201_001914.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110201_001914.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 117
do you really want an under gravel? I reckon a normal sucker one on the side would be better and since the fish in there have high bio loads another filter would work great

Well I already have the ugf.. it came with the tank. I've had it for years just never hooked it up.. been using the aqua clear for a while..

There's no harm in running both the UGF and the AC. Remove the UGF if you're not going to use it. They're good at trapping waste and causing nitrate problems if you don't clean them well.

You're pushing it with your fish selection. Dragon gobies are really brackish fish and aren't compatible with your other fish. Your little catfish is a pictus cat. It won't stay little for long. I have one in a 40B and he's 8" long and slightly territorial. You'll have to be very punctual with your tank maintenance to keep good water quality with those fish.

If you chose to run the UGF (and I have always had one in all my tanks, going way back, up until just recently) be sure to use it ALONG WITH another type of filter (like the one you have going already) AND put a powerhead on it. Do not bother with a UGF if you want to run it with just an air pump. An air pump does not have enough pulling power, and you will end up with crud under the plate.

Speaking of which, is the plate under your gravel now, with no powerhead or pump? If so, very unhealthy crud is under there already (unless you set the tank up very recently). Putting a powerhead (or pump) on it with crud built up underneath will cause the crud to be blown out into the tank...possibly NOT a wise move.

Yes the tank was torn down and completly redone about a month ago the ugf is under the gravel just never had lift tubes hooked up to it.. I now have it hooked up with air stones and lift tubes and am running a aqua clear hang on filter for a 50-70 gallon tank.. I just wanted the ugf just for more circulation and hopefully cleaner water etc but not sure if it would hurt the chemistry of the tank.. which is why I asked if it was ok figured I get advice from some knowledge people. It has been hooked up now for about 2 days and seems ok. I think I stressed the fish out a little but they recovered and I've done water changes daily..

Good! Very wise to keep up on the daily water changes, for now, just in case something was blown out into the water. The air pump (for now) will also help to slowly disperse anything else that might have been developing. But I emphatically stand by my recommendation for a power head. It will make all the difference to long term success with a UGF.

I just recently removed a UGF from my 75 gallon, and now for the first time in more than 30 years of fish keeping I do not have a UGF in my tank. The only reason I did this was that I was finally able to buy a large Eheim cannister filter (on Craig's List) and decided that I did not need the UGF with such a big cannister. This also gave me a chance to try a tiered landscape that I have wanted for a long time. Having a thick layer of gravel in one area, and a very thin layer in another would not work well with a UGF...more water would flow thru the thinner areas, and very little through the thicker areas...not good.

One drawback to NOT having a UGF (with 2 powerheads in that tank) is that the fish poo that lands on the gravel sits there for longer than it ever did with the UGF. I have fancy goldfish, and they produce a lot of poo, so this is annoying!

I just took a closer look at your pics. Am I seeing two fancy goldfish in there? It is generally not a good idea to mix tropicals with coldwater fish like goldfish, different requirements in water, food, etc. Some catfish like to suck on the slime coat of goldfish, too. Not sure if pictus cats are prone to that.

They are gone gave them to a local pet store..

Yea I loved my gold fish but wanted to get away from them because they r so dirty.. but on the upside very hardy and u never had to worry about heat

Back
Top Bottom