Ugh...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
I really love having three aquariums in my room, but there is one problem: The smell! I have been noticing it more as summer is approaching, and so have other people. What might be causing it, and what is the best way to prevent it? So far, the only thing that has worked is constantly leaving the window open.

You could try running some carbon in your filter for a little while. What's the smell? when my tanks smell something is usually wrong.

More air circulation! :)

Carbon should help, but it can only do soo much. How are the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels running?

Not sure the lid is problem just getting a sense of odor?
Do you deep vacuum every so often during water changes?
Even clean water/healthy tanks can have a lot of organics still stuck in substrate.
Give it a suck with the vac,you may be surprised!

I know the smell ur talking about, it's not a 'punch u in the face smell' but more a 'do u smell something?' smell, kinda like ur lfs but nowhere near as strong, my gf pointed it out to me, I gravel vac every week and my parameters are fine. When she first pointed it out my nose would pick it up as soon as I walked in the door, I barely notice it now..

I know the smell ur talking about, it's not a 'punch u in the face smell' but more a 'do u smell something?' smell, kinda like ur lfs but nowhere near as strong, my gf pointed it out to me, I gravel vac every week and my parameters are fine. When she first pointed it out my nose would pick it up as soon as I walked in the door, I barely notice it now..

EXACTLY!!! Thank you, that's the best description I've heard.

Back
Top Bottom