Ugh...Algae...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, i'm havin a major problem in my 125 with algae. It just grows all over my rocks and the tank walls and i can't keep up with it! Not sure what kind, but i'm thinking maybe hair algae because its green and kind of furry. Any ideas on how to get rid of it??

The tank is a 125 gallon with african cichlids, texas holey rock and fake plants for decoration, and a 4' dual bulb Glo T5 HO fixture.

I have always found that drift wood and anything natural in the tank helps with algae.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cut back on light and increase your water change routine to keep your nitrates down. 2 things that will definitely help with growth.

If youre doing 20% weekly, increase it to 30% twice weekly. How long do you keep the light on? Is the tank in direct sunlight?

With african cichlids plants arnt always an option so theres nothing to compete with the algae so it grow more readily in tanks like this.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
I usually have my lights on for about an hour in the morning, then turn them off during the day and put them back on from 4 till maybe 9:30. Is that too much? I also dont know how good the bulbs are in the light, as i got it used.

Well that duration sounds ok to me is the tank in direct sunlight during the day?

Whats your regular readings for nitrates?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nope, its in the basement and under the windows, so the room gets natural light, but not the tank itself.
And nitrate is usually like 10.

I'm not sure, but guessing hair algae, because it does seem kinda furry and looks like little hairs, but i'm no expert on algae types.

Back
Top Bottom