Ugh!!! Can't get rid of this cloudy water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dollabill420 said:
What's h2o2 anyway? Bleach, potassium permagment, or that alum stuff? I dunno the symbol just the names (and even Spelt wrong o_O)

Hydrogen peroxide. 30 second dip in 100% solution, then a good rinsing with the kitchen sprayer. Kills the snails and any parasites like ich. I learned the trick from Mr. Limpet...it's a good one.

eco23 said:
Hydrogen peroxide. 30 second dip in 100% solution, then a good rinsing with the kitchen sprayer. Kills the snails and any parasites like ich. I learned the trick from Mr. Limpet...it's a good one.
Never thought of hydrogen peroxide that's a good tip I shoulda know when I seen my friend treating her snake for a mouth infection from a too fine of a soil the useless chain petstore said was safe for a columbian red tail boa baby, there heartless man I think they want their animals to die so you will come back, didn't work though we both won't even buy flake from em anymore don't wanna support their rein of terror lol

Alright, I know this is an algae bloom. I filled a white bucket using my normal gravel vac instead of the Python, and it's green water. Leaving the light off for 4 days didn't cure it before, so I'm probably going to do a blackout. I'm just worried if I wipe out all the algae in the tank...my Otos won't have food. Looks like they'll be eating algae wafers for a while.

Green water is a pain, but can be dealt with in a number of ways. Poly-fil is now my go water clarifier since I started dealing with heavy tannins in my goldie and GSP tanks. It'll strip fine water borne particles better than polishing pads, carbon and flocculants combined IMO/E. I'd suggest putting large wads if it in every tray of your 405, sans the biomedia trays and if there's room in those trays, you can put it on top of the noodles too.

Here's a sample of what it'll do in a weeks time (AC50):

Cool Tools: Share Your Aquatic/Non-Aquatic finds with AA - Page 2 - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Here's a great link for GW (and the whole page in general for any algae issues) that has a lot of causes/solutions offered.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

Good luck!

Mr. Limpet said:
Green water is a pain, but can be dealt with in a number of ways. Poly-fil is now my go water clarifier since I started dealing with heavy tannins in my goldie and GSP tanks. It'll strip fine water borne particles better than polishing pads, carbon and flocculants combined IMO/E. I'd suggest putting large wads if it in every tray of your 405, sans the biomedia trays and if there's room in those trays, you can put it on top of the noodles too.

Here's a sample of what it'll do in a weeks time (AC50):

Cool Tools: Share Your Aquatic/Non-Aquatic finds with AA - Page 2 - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Here's a great link for GW (and the whole page in general for any algae issues) that has a lot of causes/solutions offered.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

Good luck!

Great post and great info...thanks.

eco23 said:
Great post and great info...thanks.

Hopefully the pwc, blanket over the tank and phosphate pads will help...I'll pick up some of those Poly-fil pads next time I'm out. Thanks everyone.

Hopefully the pwc, blanket over the tank and phosphate pads will help...I'll pick up some of those Poly-fil pads next time I'm out. Thanks everyone.

Actually, poly-fil is in bag form and you can find it at most craft or fabric stores. I use the Fairfield brand and confirmed it's additive free. A $5 bag will last forever too, instead of 7.99 for a box of 3 polishing pads lol.

Mr. Limpet said:
Actually, poly-fil is in bag form and you can find it at most craft or fabric stores. I use the Fairfield brand and confirmed it's additive free. A $5 bag will last forever too, instead of 7.99 for a box of 3 polishing pads lol.

Oh, it's not an aquatic thing? Poly-fil like for pillows? Wow, creative solution finding...I like it, lol.

Oh, it's not an aquatic thing? Poly-fil like for pillows? Wow, creative solution finding...I like it, lol.

Sure is.

I actually saw a bag of poly-fil at a new store I was checking out and it was 1/2 the size for the same price, but if a mfg puts the word "aquarium" on it, I guess it's worth twice as much lol.

Back
Top Bottom