Uh oh. What kind of algae? And now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
This eraser sized spot turned up this morning. Nothing anywhere else so far.

3 gallon tank with a betta and a whisper filter, led lights (Marineland 3 gallon kit). Marimo ball and 3 baby java ferns are in the tank.

Water stats are 0 on all the baddies, pH 7.2, GH (from Seachem Equilibrium) 5 and KH 3 (from crushed coral). My tapwater is basically distilled. Temp is thermostatically controlled at 78. Food is 4 top fin betta pellets twice a day. Lights on a loooong time, can't spring for a timer now. Tank is 10 weeks old. And fully cycled.

50-90% water changes at least weekly. More wasn't helping water stats and was stressing the fish. Tds is consistently around 100.

Recent changes ... I gave him cobalt color flakes a few times, but didn't like how he may miss some. And it seemed to bug him (he was lethargic then I found a big glob of what I think was formerly constipated fish poop). He had those flakes maybe 3 times very carefully.

10 days ago I cleaned diatoms out and did a full water change.

3 weeks ago I switched to the seachem equilibrium and the crushed coral, previously I'd used a small dose of chichlid salts and buffer to get GH, KH, and pH up (honestly I think he liked that better).

Scrub it with a toothbrush. If it's impossible to remove, then keep it, that will be green spot algae, signs of healty system.

If it's easy to remove, I would suspect cyanobacterias.

It rubbed right off with a fingertip and there are a few spots of black.

Now what?

I wonder if it came in on the plants I got a few weeks ago and I didn't know it till I'd cleaned out the diatoms is been letting run their course. The fish did start getting sluggish at that time. He's 90% ok but just not as perky and bubble blowing as he was before adding the plants and changing how I supplement KH and GH. Those couple of feedings with the cobalt flakes introduced some phosphate too, I'm sure.

I happen to have a fully cycled empty 1 gallon tank (I was experimenting with cycling) I hate to put him back in there but if it's just while I bleach this tank ... What little I've read so far suggests I take heavy duty antimicrobial action. I can get his current home bleached and cycled in a few days, I've got spare filter floss in my big tank.

So last month I cleaned the plants and decor. All was well for 3+ weeks then a few tiny spots popped up on the substrate and plastic plants. They didn't spread, but today I did a 100% water change and bleached the fake plants again.

I am still feeding just a few betta pellets twice a day, there's a nerite in there to go after diatoms (which also returned a little) and I don't really give it extra food. A few baby Pond snails (I pull them out if I see more than two or they get very big). Once in awhile betta doesn't eat a pellet and it sinks, the snails seem to have enough of whatever they need.

Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate <5, temp 78, fish food has zero phosphate.

What is the likely culprit? Does diatoms and cyano suggest phosphates? I haven't tested for that, this week isn't a good time to buy another test kit.

With water changes I add stress coat, and a low dose of cichlid salts and buffer to get GH and KH up to 3, my tap water is super soft.

The moss ball and 2 baby java ferns are fine, the ferns growing very slowly (also fine by me).

Back
Top Bottom