Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2004, 10:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to DragonChild Send a message via Yahoo to DragonChild
Um...is it okay for cats to drink from the tank?

Okay, so i get up this morning, and go out to turn on my tank light. Mr. McSqueekers had flipped the lid off the hob filter, and was merrily lapping up the fish-flavored water. I didn't yell at him...he wasn't messing anything up with it, or trying to 'fish', but just drinking.

Anyway, is this normal, or should I worry?

"If you leap before you look, the game will be over before you have even begun to play" Shuten/Anubis

------------------------
40 gallon, freshwater, currently housing pleco, red tailed shark, 1 adult silver mickey mouse platy, 3 platy fry (unsure of colors right now), and 6 ghost shrimp.
Filter is an Aquaclear 200, azoo 6500 air pump, and Hagen heater.
DragonChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 10:38 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Completely normal. Except for the cat hair that gets in the tank, everything is fine. I have two cats that knock the filter tops off and the third cat takes advantage of it!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 10:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to senorcat
I believe that the less contaminants, such as cat slobber, in a tank, the better. I'd just keep a keen eye on the tank AND Mr MCSQUEEKERS. MY cat had done a similar thing, so I pointed after picking him up and firmly said NO while pointing. He meowed indifference, and tried the next day, and I just repeated, this time looking him eye to eye(he and I have this sort of link that is a better reception when I Eye to Eye with him.) Well, he wound up really constipated by lunch, Then Really the opposite by next morning. I guess the Aqua safe I added after his first intrusion acted like a laxative, and the fishies feared his visage for a while, resulting in a lot of stress coat usage, cause he loves his fish watching routine. They all play well now, the fish swim to the front when I and my cat, On my shoulder like a pirate and parrot duo come up and feed and gaze. He, the cat, Often paws at them with minimal stress to them, they merely circle and occassionally splash the surface in comment.
Well, just keep a keen eye on all of your friends, fin or fur, leave plenty of h2o for MCsqueeker, and perhaps a small weight or a latch device or tape on your hood and filter cover, add Stress coat, the fishies must sense intrusion in their habitat, as the ph of a male cat is Alkaline, and may thus adversely, probably minutely affect your tank. The habit of adding sea, or non iodized salt is a good one too, there is a theory that salt inhibits certain harmful micro and parasitic forms, and the fish use the salts to keep a healthier stress coat.
G'day
Old 09-20-2004, 10:54 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
as the ph of a male cat is Alkaline, and may thus adversely, probably minutely affect your tank.
If the cat is urinating in the tank, I would be concerned. A few links will not cause any harm.
Quote:
The habit of adding sea, or non iodized salt is a good one too, there is a theory that salt inhibits certain harmful micro and parasitic forms, and the fish use the salts to keep a healthier stress coat.
I have a brackish water tank, using marine grade salt and the cats love it and no harm has been done
At my house, it's not just a matter of the HOB tops, the cats stick their noses in and get any water they can--even from the tanks with canister filters.
As for stress coat, that has never had an effect on my girls, but YMMV.

Old 09-20-2004, 10:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to senorcat
Hey again, just a safety precaution here for HUMANS. Don't Do like I just did and have a bowl of cereal without checking your milk first. I was soo caught up typing, I had an entire bowl. I finished and submitted, then went for some more milk, Which smelled, well, just a little akward. I dumped it because of the presence of swirls of foamy bubbles on the surface as well. Just goes to show the relationships and similarities of pets and pet parents.

P.S. after a week, he has since stopped trying to lap from the tank.

My cat is gloating right now.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
This thread made me laugh and laugh and laugh.. Thanks all.

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
webmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 01:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not a cat, but I suppose drinking from the HOB filter beats drinking from the toilet

Oh, and let me guess, your cat completely ignores the bowl of fresh water you leave out every day, right?
Old 09-20-2004, 01:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Oh, and let me guess, your cat completely ignores the bowl of fresh water you leave out every day, right?
I know mine does. The cat only wants to drink out of the shower, as soon as you get out of the shower, the cat runs in and starts licking up water. I think she likes the taste of soap

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 01:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

When I do water changes, I use a big tub right in front of my tank, Rufus(my fat cat) all but gets in it drinking and playing in the water. When I had the ten gallon on my counter in the kitchen he also used to drink out of the filter. We just let him. No harm done.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:56 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's correct.
Quote:
The cat only wants to drink out of the shower, as soon as you get out of the shower, the cat runs in and starts licking up water.
Two of mine do that too!! What's going on in their fuzzy little heads?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com