uncontrollable PH levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stumped

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon tank (first tank ever had) and I now (after killing 5 fish) have started over clean tank, clean gravel, tap water(ammoia=0,PH=7.2),now I add one fish (blue gerammi), one week later ammonia=0,PH=8.6???????? why do I need to do to keep PH in check? I have tried PH 7.0 and it only seems to make the fish impossible to see and a week later PH is right back up ??????? HELP

What kind of water are you using? Is it well water by any chance? What kind of gravel do you have in the tank? Are there any rocks in there? If so, what kind? Something is adding buffer to the water. Are you using any additives in the water to speed up the filter cycle or to control ammonia?
Logan J

CITY WATER WITH DROPS FOR THE CHLORINE, YES GRAVEL FROM THE FISH STORE AND i DID HAVE AMMONIA PROBLEMS BEFORE BUT NOW THAT i ONLY HAVE ONE FISH IT JUST STAYS AT 0 ON IT'S OWN

Check your pH at the tap and see what it is if you haven't already.
pH 7.0 is okay in most tanks but I have seen it cloud or just not work in others. My water is well water and we use pH increaser and pH decreaser from Jungle Labs in our FW make up buckets. We adjust the make up water to 6.8 - 7.0 and it holds our two planted tanks at 7.0 (29 & 55 gal. tanks)

Tap water= 7.2, PH up/ PH down did not work at all after 4 treatments PH was the same ????????

More specifics on the gravel, is it natural gravel of some kind, or the colored coated stuff?

Natural gravel, depending on the type, could make your ph go up like that.

It has to be something in your tank ie: gravel driftwood or additive.
Is the gravel really gravel or a type of crushed coral.
I think its time to start checking everything one at a time make up your water in a bucket and adjust the water to 6.8 - 7.0, give the water at least 24 hrs. after putting in the drops and mix occasionally then test the make up water(ours will read one level 1 hr. and higher in 24 hrs.) and do a few water changes, If you have any decorations driftwood rocks etc. remove them and when the pH is stabilized put them back one at a time and watch your pH. Other then the chlorine drops stop all if any additives. When you place your fish in your tank from the LFS your not adding there water to your tank? Sorry I know its a dumb ? but just trying to cover all bases.
Last I would swap out the gravel and put an uncoated natural gravel for fish tanks in. This can be done without dumping the tank.
Don't give up this is all part of the learning cycle fustrating yes but well worth it later :D

As far as rhe gravel all I know is it is Top Fin purple gravel and I also have 2 Top fin figures, 2 Top fin plastic plants(had problem before the plants)fyi nitrites are perfect also..........I will not give up , but I am tired of killing fish so that's why I'm here......

Dag.

Perhaps your test kit is bad? Try taking a reading at home, then take some of your water to the LFS and let them test it. See if your kit is bad. Long shot, but all I can think of at this point.

Well nice thought but, I've already done that 3 times.......I think I'm going to start from the beginning with a bare tank and water, then I will add gravel, decor., 1 at a time to see if I can isolate the PH killer. Does anyone see a problem eith this idea? I simply do not know what else to do ....Should I use bottled water?

I'm going to start from the beginning with a bare tank and water, then I will add gravel, decor., 1 at a time to see if I can isolate the PH killer. Does anyone see a problem eith this idea?

I see no problem with this idea. I also see no need for bottled water, sounds like your tap water is pretty much normal stuff, it shouldn't be that.

All th things you listed as being in the tank shouldn't cause that kind of ph either.

Stumped here too, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom