Uncycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
librarygirl said:
You could certainly move some media from the 10 gal to the 29 gal's filter to help seed it. I'd be hesitant to assume it's fully cycled and add fish right away though; the 29 is a larger tank and the bacteria in the 10 gal have adjusted to the smaller bioload. It might be safer to add ammonia anyway just to see what the numbers do. Also be careful how much you remove from the 10 gal since it's a small tank and removing too much can throw the smaller tank into a mini cycle so just test the water on the 10 gal for a few days to make sure nothing spikes.

Just a question: Are you upgrading from a 10 gal to the 29 or are you using the 29 as a second tank? I'm asking because if you're going to upgrade (move everything over to the 29 gal from the 10) you could just move the filter from the 10 gal onto the 29 and add the fish without having to fishless cycle first. Only if you're upgrading though. If you're keeping the 10 gal in addition just do what we said above. :)

I just tested the water from my ten gallon tank . . . Results . . .
Ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 5.0 ppm
Nitrate - 160 ppm

What do these results mean ?!?! :Thinking:

I believe the nitrite is so high because I was away for the weekend and my mom over feed the fish ! :thinking: is this possible ?

It means you haven't done maintenance on your tank for a very long time. You should have 0 nitrites and <20 nitrates. You need to do many large water changes..... those numbers are toxic.

LyndaB said:
It means you haven't done maintenance on your tank for a very long time. You should have 0 nitrites and <20 nitrates. You need to do many large water changes..... those numbers are toxic.

What should I do ? A water change now and then tomorrow how much of a water change are we talking about ? I did a water change a week or two ago :thinking:

You should be doing a water change weekly. I'd start out with a 50% water change, then test the water again. Keep doing water changes until you get the levels down.

Iceman13579 said:
You should be doing a water change weekly. I'd start out with a 50% water change, then test the water again. Keep doing water changes until you get the levels down.

I did a 50% water change , how long should I wait until I test the water again ?

I'd give it at least 30 minutes to an hour. I'm sure the one water change alone will not fix the problem, but the readings will give you an idea of how many water changes you'll need to do. With your nitrates so high, I'd think it would be be less stressful on your fish to change nearly all of the water out than have them remain in the water with such high nitrates. This is probably also the reason you have algae in your aquarium. Algae uses nitrates and nitrites as food, and with such a vast amount of food, algae with thrive.

I had a very similar situation a few months ago in my 20 gal and I did about three back-to-back 50% water changes until the readings dropped low enough. Within a few days, the algae went away and the fish were recovering. Also, go a day without feeding your fish, and then feed them once a day for several days.

How many fish do you have in the aquarium and how often do you feed them?

Iceman13579 said:
I'd give it at least 30 minutes to an hour. I'm sure the one water change alone will not fix the problem, but the readings will give you an idea of how many water changes you'll need to do. With your nitrates so high, I'd think it would be be less stressful on your fish to change nearly all of the water out than have them remain in the water with such high nitrates. This is probably also the reason you have algae in your aquarium. Algae uses nitrates and nitrites as food, and with such a vast amount of food, algae with thrive.

I had a very similar situation a few months ago in my 20 gal and I did about three back-to-back 50% water changes until the readings dropped low enough. Within a few days, the algae went away and the fish were recovering. Also, go a day without feeding your fish, and then feed them once a day for several days.

How many fish do you have in the aquarium and how often do you feed them?

I have six fish all together (two are really small and i believe they are tetras)and a small pleco , changing this much water out wont shock the fish? my LFS told me a huge water change can shock the fish :thinking:

Yes, there is a chance that it can shock the fish, the only problem is, having nitrates so high can be just as fatal. Since you have a 10 gal, maybe start out by doing a water change a day until it drops.

I second the 1 wc a day thing, I'd do a 50% wc daily and treat the water with a triple dose of Prime to help detoxify the nitrates/nitrite. For extra measure I'd probably put in a pinch of salt as well to alleviate nitrite toxicity.

jetajockey said:
I second the 1 wc a day thing, I'd do a 50% wc daily and treat the water with a triple dose of Prime to help detoxify the nitrates/nitrite. For extra measure I'd probably put in a pinch of salt as well to alleviate nitrite toxicity.

I did the salt and an extra dose of prime ! I will check the levels tonight again ! And see how they changed ! All the advice really helps I'm learning alot that I didn't know !

Mikey214 said:
I just tested the water from my ten gallon tank . . . Results . . .
Ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 5.0 ppm
Nitrate - 160 ppm

What do these results mean ?!?! :Thinking:

My new results after the 50% water change yesterday . . .
Ph - 7.6
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0.25 ppm
Nitrate - 80 ppm

Are the results improving ? Should I do another water change ? Any thoughts would help ! Thanks alot !

'Nitrate - 80 ppm' < I'd hit this at least once more now to bring it to 40. Then maybe again before too long. Keep watching the ammonia and nitrites.. Those are the really deadly ones.

OasisKeeper said:
'Nitrate - 80 ppm' < I'd hit this at least once more now to bring it to 40. Then maybe again before too long. Keep watching the ammonia and nitrites.. Those are the really deadly ones.

What will cause the ammonia or nitrites to rise ? And how much of a water change ?

Your tank is not cycled. That's why your numbers are wonky. Remind me which test kit you're using? If API, are you bashing the nitrate bottle against the countertop to loosen up the crystals? If not, you can get a false reading.

What will cause the ammonia or nitrites to rise ? And how much of a water change ?

Fish don't urinate, instead they excrete their liquid waste as ammonia through their gills. Also, decaying organic matter is broken down by other bacteria to make ammonia.

One group of 'beneficial bacteria' in the tank and filter convert ammonia to nitrites. So fish>ammonia>nitrites. And finally, another group of bacteria convert the nitrites to nitrates. Given no other method to remove nitrates, you must take them out with dilution (water changes).

LyndaB said:
Your tank is not cycled. That's why your numbers are wonky. Remind me which test kit you're using? If API, are you bashing the nitrate bottle against the countertop to loosen up the crystals? If not, you can get a false reading.

I am shaking the bottle vigorously for thirty second as the directions say and yes I'm using API master test kit

Just for ha ha's, next time you go to test, smash that bottle against the countertop a few times, then shake. See if it makes any difference.

LyndaB said:
Just for ha ha's, next time you go to test, smash that bottle against the countertop a few times, then shake. See if it makes any difference.

Alright I will ! So I guess I can't use any of this media in this tank to seed my new 29 gallon tank since the ten gallon is not "cycled" ??

Back
Top Bottom