Undentifiable fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey17

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to a lfs near my house and i saw 2 different kinds of fish i haven't seen very often and i don't know what they are. I don't have a picture of them but i can try to describe them. The first one was long and thin with a scaly body like a pleco, it was blackish brown and it had a long "nose" and it sucked on the side of the tank. I have no idea what it was. I was gonna buy it, then i decided not to since i don't know anything about it or it's care. The second fish i saw had a body like a fire track eel, except it was light colored, something like a light yellow with faint bluish bands around it. It had a kind of long "nose" and a big mouth undeneath it. Any ideas?

yeah i think first ones a farowella. did the eel have eyespots on the tail . if so its pecock. also could be a zigzag eel. the tire track and fire eel are pretty easy to spot

Yes the one in the picture is it! What kind of care does it need? It wasn't labeled at all. Neither was the other one i saw. I didn't really see any spots at all on the other one. It was curled up, but i got a good look at it's head and it didn't look like any of the "eel" fish i've seen. It was so light colored.Do you have any pics of all of those kind of fish?

Farlowellas seem to be (IME) sensitive to water conditions when first introduced into the tank, but once they acclimate they are very cool fish. They get very long, mine is currently 8 inchs long (farlowella acus), prob max size.

They'll stick to the sides of the tank, driftwood, sword plants, and anything with a flat surface. I feed mine algae wafers and he likes them. I can pull mine off of something and place him on the wafer and he'll start eating it (they can also dart VERY fast). I don't suggest picking them up though (only to put in a plastic bag, because it is not really good to catch them with nets).

I keep mine in pH about 6.5 , soft water and it's doing fine. Like I said they can adapt to the conditions (usually if they live past the first 2 months they will stay alive :wink: ).

The farlowella will not survive in brackish water,FW only.
The whiptail cats are usually from the rineloricaria family. I have never known the farlowellas to be called whiptails. Sometimes farlowellas may be called twig cats because thats about how much they move

im not sure if i have the same fish in mind, but farowellas are called banjo cats too right?

Back
Top Bottom