under gravel filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a small 2 gallon hexagonal tank that a friend gave me. Top Fin&reg Aqua Scene Desktop Aquariums - Sale - Fish - PetSmart
it came with a under gravel filter. i was wondering if i set up the UGF in the corner of my 20 gallon tank and had it run. would this help filter out some crap and making more bacteria growth? to clean it i could just vacuum over the filter?

PS i already have an aquaclear 200 on the tank

thanks,
JOMA

YOu could probably achieve better results and benefits by making a DIY corner filter for additional filtration.

I'm not sure how much benefit you'd get from the limited area a small UGF give in such a larger tank.

A lot of people here have it in for UGF, but I use them with great benefit when they are properly sized for the tank.

I would skip the UGF in this case since it's to small for the tank. But UGF is somewhat old technology but they do work well when properly users and maintained. I would run them in reverse flow to help prevent build up below the plates but when used and maintained properly they are great at turning your entire substrate into a biofilter...let's see a canister or HOB use that kind of real estate. As a side note I don't use them any longer due to all my tanks are sand but in my youth every tank was rocking one!

Back
Top Bottom