Under Gravel Filter Yes or No????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feinhorn

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been trying to cycle my tank and I have run into a bad bacteria bloom. One advice website says that I should install an under gravel filter to clear the bacteria bloom and to keep the tank clear there after. I don't know if I agree with that. Other people have said just to wait it out. I went to my LFS and bought another powerfilter and filled it with lava rock and a sponge to work as an extra biological filter, not for filtration but just for housing bacteria. Does anyone think this is a good idea or think it will work? I just don't really want to tear down my tank just to install an Under gravel filter, maybe I should. Any ideas? :?:

No. The undergravel filter is yesterdays technology. Bacterial blooms are often a part of cycling. It'll go away. The UGF will end up clogging up your substrate with detritus. Eventually the plate will start to clog also. If you decide to use it anyway, I'd run it reverse using powerheads instead of an airlift.
What size tank and what kind of filters do you have? IMO, the bio wheel is the best FW bio filter available. You might look into one of those.
Logan J

30 gal

1 300 GPH powerfilter (replacable floss type filter inserts with carbon pouches inside)
1 125 GPH powerfilter (just sponge and lava rock for bacteria growth)

1 airstone

I am waiting for my fish to grow bigger (2 oscars and 1 pleco, both very young) to get a 75 gal.

don't worry about getting an undergravel filter. What you have seems fine. Sometimes the bloom takes weeks to disperse. Be patient, it will disappear.

Personally I can't believe anybody would use an UGF.. What a pain to clean (although check out some of the material on Armkes.com - they say they use them on all their tanks!) Anyway -
I have been trying to cycle my tank and I have run into a bad bacteria bloom.
what's wrong with a bacterial bloom at this point? this is what you want when cycling a tank - that means the bacteria are eating, multiplying, thriving! this is what will establish the colony of bacteria that will end up supporitng your tank.. Enjoy it!

Well since I am new at this I thought I had a problem because I can't see very far into my tank. Guess its not that bad, I just worry about the high nitrites and ammonia because I have become very attached to my fish :D

Don't sweat it, if you do the regular water changes, you should be fine. The Bacteria will die off as they run out of food, then you will have the balance you want. As I remember that bloom was an indicator that my tank was near the end of the cycling process.

One of the first things I did when I inherited my fish tank was remove the ugf. I decided I didn't want to re-cycle a well established tank, so I attempted to take the filter out without emptying the tank (no fish were in it at the time, just the water that I saved and put back in the tank after I moved it). It was probably the single most disgusting thing I have ever done in my life--any fish in the tank would have died instantly--I almost died!!! 8O Although the tank was well maintained, the ugf had not been moved in 5 years. Think fish septic tank. For this reason alone, I will never have an ugf in any tank I will own.

The people have spoken.................Down with the UGF. Thanks for the advice!!! I will stick with the powerfilter

Umm - you said:

I have been trying to cycle my tank and I have run into a bad bacteria bloom
and then you said
I just worry about the high nitrites and ammonia because I have become very attached to my fish

You're cycling the tank while the fish you are attached to are living in it? Your tank should have been cycled before you put fish into it (either a fishless cycle or with a handful or Danios as many people do..)

If you have high ammonia and nitrites in a tank with fish in it, then you may have a problem..

Yes I have figured this out after the fact :( . I went into petsmart to get all my gear and bought the fish that day. Stupid I know. It was a compusive buy but the people at petsmart dont know anything. I am not saying that it is all the fault of the sales people at petsmart but they didn't say anything when I bought a tank and the fish on the same day. Oh well you live and learn....right. The fish seem to be ok but you never know, hopefully they are fine in the long run.

They actually let you buy a new tank setup and fish the same day and said nothing?? I've heard stories about PetSmart employees knowing nothing but that's incompetance..

just keep a close eye on the ammonia and nitrite levels, you'll probably have to do water changes every day or so and don't use any of those ammo-lock type products..

i was wonder ing the same about the ugf i had it going for a while then i herd horror storys bout the crap being stuck under the ..well the gravel and under whatevers under the gravel \. so i turned it off i inquired about them and was told that although the ugf is not the greatest of all the filters i wouldnt have to worry about the stuff under it because the (good) bacteria's would develop and they would take care of all of that. i in turn said well when the good bactirias eat it what happens to there crap? he said that this is nitrate. so i dont know he also said since i had turned it off for more than a couple of days it would be highly advised to redo the whole tank because those couple of days off probably made the goods die and the bads thrive...? whatever i have a 40 gallon tank with a side of the tank charcoal filter i turn on and off the ugf in no set schedule there are 4 fish and a lobster and a mini catfish 2 convicts a yellow and black african and some other 1 i for get and there not really small there gettin big the bigger convict is probable a inch and a half long... point is my tank has been fine like this for 2 almost 3 month so ugf if u want to do it if you dont dont

nitrate amonia

dude he has 2and a half fisk in a 30 sumthin tank unless u have no filter and over feed you fish i wouldnt even start to worry about those things unless like i said there over fed has no filteration and may be they crap more than normal

Back in the day I never had a problem with my UGF. Every couple of weeks was when I cleaned the tank. PWC, whats that? We would empty the entire thing and srub it down. Gravel and all. I guess that tank probably never actually cycled, but the fished lived and were healthy for two years. I must have done something right. It is amaizng to me how much I did wrong after I read these boards.

Ammonia and Nitrites are part of your tank cycling, continue with the water changes and feed lightly. What type of fish do you have in your tank and how long are you leaving your lights on for?

As mound stated you should use Danio's or the fishless method when cycling a tank.

Watch your Ammonia and keep up with the water changes and hopefully your fish will make it through. Good Luck

I have 2 oscars and a pleco. I ammonia was undetectable for the first time ever tonight!!! I am so excited, I know I am a fish dork. They seem fine. The Nitrites are still high but the ammonia finally went away. So I must be doing something right. Thanks for the info. I have a timer on my light set for 9 hours (1pm to 10 pm) is this ok? Any more ideas about the nitrites or shall I just do small water changes every other night and Pray for the best? :D

Fish Dork your not, Just learning like ALL of us did.
The nitrites are next to go, it may take a week or so, but be patient and continue the water changes. The lighting is fine and you are doing fine. Just let the tank finish cycling. With the Oscar's I wouldn't add anymore fish to your tank, As you probably already know there going to get big and need a bigger tank.
Any more ? just ask we will be glad to help.

Back
Top Bottom