Under Gravel Heat Cable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope, completely un-necessary. I've yet to meet someone that uses one, and the few people I've read about who tried em, say no improvement in plant growth.

Yes, although it looks like you have 2x20watt bulbs over a 26gallon tank, so CO2 isn't exactly necessary at this point either, but it would provide some benefit to the plants.
If you ever upgraded lighting, then CO2 would be mandatory.

Yes, these are tubelights. I already bought Nutrafin CO2 but is not producing enough bubbles. I will try to create an additional bottle this weekend as suggested in my another "pH, KH levels..." thread.

After finishing all kind of learning/testing on this aquarium I will buy 52gal, ofcourse planted. Better investment would be CO2 system than this heating cable.

malkore said:
Nope, completely un-necessary. I've yet to meet someone that uses one, and the few people I've read about who tried em, say no improvement in plant growth.

Ditto on that.

I think the undergravel heating cables are more popular in Europe than here in the U.S. People growing Dutch style tanks would really find them useful. I don't have the heating cables myself and think that more important contributors to growth include CO2, lighting, fertilizers, substrate, etc.

If you were going to do a multi-layered substrate (peat plates, soil, laterite, gravel...) then a heating cable could actually be beneficial. The various layers, especially soil, can really seal off the bottom layer from getting any fresh water movement.

Its my understanding that the heating cable improves convection currents, to keep the substrate 'healthy' (for lack fo a better term) and more efficient at nutrient transfer.

When using something liek Eco-complete or flourite, these substrates are designed to let water flow around within them to improve nutrient transport.

Flourite and Eco-complete are American substrates, so I would completely agree that other parts of the world might see increased usage of heating cables, due to the substrate types they are almost forced to use.

I guess I'd dumb it down to this: if you're using a layerd substrate that includes a dirt like soil...heating cables might be beneficial. otherwise, skip em.

Back
Top Bottom