Undergravel Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone here use an under gravel filter? My husband and I got a great deal on a 55 gallon tank. His one desire with it is to have an undergravel filter (He thinks it will be easier to clean. Not sure why it matters I clean the tanks.). I dont really know anything about them so thoughts would be great.

As mentioned it would be for a 55 gallon tank.

Another question can you do like plants with an under gravel filter or will roots plug up the filter? What about a sand substrate?

Pros and cons to an undergravel filter?

Thanks guys!

I've heard they're tougher to clean because you have to break the tank down to get to it. But I've never used one personally so I can't say for sure.

If it were me I wouldn't use it. Back in the day they were good but filters came along way since.

They clog easily and are a HUGE pain to clean. Not worth it IMHO.

But like I said this it just MY opinion.

A good HOB (hang on back) filter would be way way better. More options for media.

Dino

I honestly don't even know if any of the more experienced members here have them in anything bigger than those 5gal desktop tank kits. The main concept is that it uses the BB in the gravel instead of filter media for Biological Filtration. I'm certain you'd need to run a powerhead to generate the flow through the substrate to keep the BB supplied with Oxygen.

The way I see it ... UG filters are ok for biological filtration with small bio-load fish, but useless for mechanical filtration with media like Poly-fill / Polishing pads, sponges to help clear the water of debris.

Better to go with an HOB or Canister filter for a 55gal.

I honestly don't even know if any of the more experienced members here have them in anything bigger than those 5gal desktop tank kits. The main concept is that it uses the BB in the gravel instead of filter media for Biological Filtration. I'm certain you'd need to run a powerhead to generate the flow through the substrate to keep the BB supplied with Oxygen.

The way I see it ... UG filters are ok for biological filtration with small bio-load fish, but useless for mechanical filtration with media like Poly-fill / Polishing pads, sponges to help clear the water of debris.

Better to go with an HOB or Canister filter for a 55gal.

Haha agree! Posted at the same time. Great minds yet again.

i have used them, at first i thought they were great, but as the waste gets pushed down under the filter , at a certain point , i got amonia build up, and you should have a good inch and a half of gravel , and to have to disturb the filter by removing gravel, water turns to like mud, not good,

canister filters are good, now that i am into saltwater tanks, i think now if i ever go back to fresh water i would build my own filter, just like a sump filter fot saltwater,

Agree with the above posts! Skip it and save your self the nightmare. I did try using one on a 55g with powerheads. For eight months. The theory behind them is solid but it fails to mention the amount of debris and junk and waste that gets sucked under the plates and starts to clog them. That you can't clean-ever. Then your water quality starts to take nosedive and keeps diving until you have to completely rip the tank apart to clean it. The clumps black mold and fungus and vileness that was underneath them turned the water in the tank black when I went to remove them. I think the only reason my fish never became sick was because I was changing the water almost daily. Also, sand and plants don't work. A friend of mine does put plants with his but they are potted and the pots create dead spots in the ugf. I guess thats ok for minimally stocked tank. Opt for a good hob or canister instead. :)

Back
Top Bottom