Undergravel filtration vs. plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckfins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anybody have an opinion about whether live plants affects the undergravel biological filtration of cleaning the water? I have heard that it is not good for filtration efforts or the plants.

If you have extensive plant growth, the root systems can fill the gravel and prevent the flow of water required by the undergravel filter, thus inhibiting the effectiveness of the undergravel filter. A small number/amount of plants is not going to have a major impact.

Undergravel filters don't really do much IMO

Everyone of course is entitled to their opinion. With a little research however, you might learn that ungravel filters are extremely effective biological filters - if they are properly set-up and maintained. Additionally, their cost is significantly less than the cost of many of the "newer" filtration methods. They are not unfortunately applicable to every tank. Personally, I've been running UGFs on cichlids tanks for over 20 years with zero issues with ammonia or nitrites for a fraction of what it would have cost me to run one of the newer filtration methods on the same tank.

UGF were basically industry standard for years. I know some people that keep racks of tanks, each with an UGF or two, and all powered by a massive air pump.

Back
Top Bottom