Understanding water test readings. Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am testing my water and confused over two readings. Does this means Gh is less than 3? Or if that indicates GH is 3? I am confused by the less sign. Also same goes for pH. If they indicating its on declining side or does this mean its less than the number shown. Please reply. Thanks.

Attachments

• _20171214_163334.jpg
    _20171214_163334.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 51
I am testing my water and confused over two readings. Does this means Gh is less than 3? Or if that indicates GH is 3? I am confused by the less sign. Also same goes for pH. If they indicating its on declining side or does this mean its less than the number shown. Please reply. Thanks.

Think of the > or < symbol as pacman.

pacman always eats the larger number. That's how I was taught about that way back in the day.

3<8 --- pacman eats 8 because it is larger than 3.
gH < 3 --- pacman eats 3 because it is larger than your gH value, or in other terms your gH is less than 3.

Think of the > or < symbol as pacman.

pacman always eats the larger number. That's how I was taught about that way back in the day.

3<8 --- pacman eats 8 because it is larger than 3.
gH < 3 --- pacman eats 3 because it is larger than your gH value, or in other terms your gH is less than 3.
Thanks. Yes I read the less and greater than signs in university but I don't understand how this thing is monitoring results. It says less than or greater then. How less or how much greater then it doesn't mention. For example I found one chart from Internet and it says more than 4. Really very confusing. More than 4 can be any number.

IMG_1904-577x1024.jpg

I think they mention between one digit and next digit. If it says greater than 4 then it means its between 4 and 5. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.

Warning: Don't buy this test kit. Results are highly inaccurate. It showed me some good results initially but after comparing I found out that readings are way off. PH, Gh, no3, no2 false readings. Useless kit.

I think as far as GH and KH go you will not adjust one without moving the other.
Knowing their value is a base number that you need to work off of instead of depend on .
You are testing too much unless you are experiencing problems . Test before water change and adjust your new water [add stuff or cut tap with ro ] to get you where you want to be.
I don't even need to test my breeding water to make it. it is 3parts ro and one part tap. That gets me close to where I want to be .The next time I change water I test again and adjust if needed.

I think as far as GH and KH go you will not adjust one without moving the other.
Knowing their value is a base number that you need to work off of instead of depend on .
You are testing too much unless you are experiencing problems . Test before water change and adjust your new water [add stuff or cut tap with ro ] to get you where you want to be.
I don't even need to test my breeding water to make it. it is 3parts ro and one part tap. That gets me close to where I want to be .The next time I change water I test again and adjust if needed.
I never tested my water because its very good from tap. No Nitrate or nitrites. No amonia. PH is 7.5. Gh is 3 and KH is 4 and these readings are perfect for normal community fish. My Neocaridina shrimps were doing fine and breeding as well. However now I am keeping Taiwan Bees which are very delicate and sensitive shrimps. I lost a couple because of water not according to there liking. They need 4-6 GH but KH should be 0-1 and PH from 5.5 to 6.5. Tds should be 120-180. I have everything alright except for GH. Which maybe ok but my jbl proscan isn't showing it. I tested distilled and RO water and bottled water and it shows some funny results. I ordered api gh and KH kit from USA.

I never tested my water because its very good from tap. No Nitrate or nitrites. No amonia. PH is 7.5. Gh is 3 and KH is 4 and these readings are perfect for normal community fish. My Neocaridina shrimps were doing fine and breeding as well. However now I am keeping Taiwan Bees which are very delicate and sensitive shrimps. I lost a couple because of water not according to there liking. They need 4-6 GH but KH should be 0-1 and PH from 5.5 to 6.5. Tds should be 120-180. I have everything alright except for GH. Which maybe ok but my jbl proscan isn't showing it. I tested distilled and RO water and bottled water and it shows some funny results. I ordered api gh and KH kit from USA.

Sorry to say but the API kits are very hard to read correctly at low kH/gH. The colour change you are looking for is very very faint unless you haveat least 3-4 kH/gH.

Also, it is completely normal to loose a few shrimp after buying them, despite how good your parameters are. Shrimp just don't do well after changes.

Sorry to say but the API kits are very hard to read correctly at low kH/gH. The colour change you are looking for is very very faint unless you haveat least 3-4 kH/gH.

Also, it is completely normal to loose a few shrimp after buying them, despite how good your parameters are. Shrimp just don't do well after changes.
Thanks. I aim for 4 to 5 KH so I believe it will be fine to see color difference. Yes I understand about shrimps. Just the person from whome I buy he first keep shrimps for like one month and then sell to customers. So usually the healthy ones survive and he sell them. I never had any casualty in case of cherry shrimps. Only these ones I find difficult and they are super expensive so losing them heart the wallet too lol.

Back
Top Bottom