Underwater heater question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cornflakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I use a 60 W underwater heater for my red clawed crabs+neon tetras and I adjusted the gauge to 24 degrees celsius. I noticed that the underwater heater light shuts off after awhile and I can't turn it back on even if I power it off and power it on again. I have to wait a while and then it's able to turn back on.

My question is, is this a faulty underwater heater OR does it shut off automatically once the water has reached it's specified temperature?

If I just leave the underwater heater on all day, will it just turn off when the water temp has been reached and then turn back on when the temp. has dipped again?

I just assumed that the light would always be on and be heating the water constantly at a steady rate, so I was a bit confused when it shut off and I couldn't get it back on until after an hour or so.

Your heater should not be on all the time. If it was that would mean it was not sufficient wattage to heat your tank. They will turn off and on periodically: off when the water around them reaches the set temperature, and back on when the temperature starts to drop.

Back
Top Bottom