Uneven tank stand question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought and assembled a tank stand for the 29 gallon tank that I'm picking up this week. The stand is on carpet right against my living room wall.

I noticed tonight that there is a noticable slant on the top going from back to front (ie. if a put a pen on the top of the stand, it rolls all the way from the back to the front and then right to the floor).

What is the best way for me to level out the stand? I think that the problem is that it's sinking into the carpet more on the front end to due the larger weight (the cupboard doors versus the open back). I assume that I need to put something under the two front legs to make it level?

Suggestions? TIA!

The back legs are probably sitting directly on the "Tac Strip" that is used to hold the carpet in place. Move the stand a couple of inches further out from the wall and see if that helps. :)

yes, the back is on the carpet's tack strip. You will probbaly have to move it an inch out from the wall. I used a nail to probe through the carpet to feel how far out the tack strip went. FYI....even after filling, my 29 gal was still a little wobbly on the carpet. I ended up putting a little bracket inside the cabinet that I screwed into the wall. Now it is solid.

IMO there is really no such thing as a level floor Sara. You also probably left enough room behind the tank for a filter or cords.

I shim my tanks to level. Shims are tapered pieces of wood which can be purchased in any hardware outlet. Once the tank is level the excess wood can be cut off with an exacto knife. :wink:

Thanks all! I'm picking up the tank tonight (yay, EBay!) so I'll play around with placement and possibly some shims to see what I can figure out.

And gfink, that's a great idea re: the bracket. I've got a ton that came with all of my IKEA furniture that I never used...it would certainly make me feel better to make the stand as secure as possible. The last thing I need is a flood...

Thanks for your help, everyone!

You are proably just not on a level place. Move it away from the wall more.....Hardware is not my speciatly so that is all the advice i have.

Dan :)

Back
Top Bottom