Uneven water level in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MacabreGoblin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I'm new to the forum and I need some advice.

I've recently set up my 29 gallon glass tank. I used a level to verify that both the stand alone and the tank atop the stand are perfectly level - which they are. However, the water level in the tank looks about a quarter to a half of an inch higher on the left side of the tank. Should I be concerned? Is there something I should do to fix this?

I appreciate any advice anyone can give me. It's so funny how I read a few books and a bunch of blogs about fishkeeping before I set up my aquarium, and I still feel like I hardly know anything. :oops:

I question the level used at this point. Water is the best method to test if something is level. I would say no big deal. Just be aware when filling the tank during a PWC.

My 29 gallon has around that much of a difference from front to back and slightly to one side. It was level when I first set it up but the house is old and settles from one season to another. I was putting stuff under the table legs to try to keep it level but finally just gave up. It has been set up for 4 years and is just fine. It would have to be a really big difference before it caused any real problems.

Is the floor carpeted? The foam rubber used as padding under carpet contains bits and pieces of different foam rubber some soft some firm and sometimes bits that feel like plastic. Another issue with aquariums and carpet is if the aquarium is set up too close to the wall it could be sitting partially on the tack strip. If your concerned about the aquarium being off level you could always wait til wc day do a large change and while the tank is low, add shim under the stand to level it off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is the floor carpeted? The foam rubber used as padding under carpet contains bits and pieces of different foam rubber some soft some firm and sometimes bits that feel like plastic. Another issue with aquariums and carpet is if the aquarium is set up too close to the wall it could be sitting partially on the tack strip. If your concerned about the aquarium being off level you could always wait til wc day do a large change and while the tank is low, add shim under the stand to level it off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

agreed.

The only time its an issue is with really large tank where there is allot of weight. putting disproportionate weight on the sides of the tank.

Do test your level for accuracy. Place it on a flat surface (doesn't have to be absolutely level) and read. Rotate 180 degrees, in the exact same spot, and read again. It should read the same. If it doesn't the level is out. Since the level was checked at the beginning and the top of the tank matched the top of the stand, it is unlikely that the trim is out some. If the load has shifted and the four corners of the tank are in the same plane, it shouldn't be an issue. The problems occur when the corners aren't in a plane and the tank is twisting, causing torquing forces that can damage the tank. It can be as simple as a small leak or catastrophic failure of a seam or pane.

Thank you so much for your responses!

I did retest the two levels I used on the tank, and they're both functioning perfectly. One is a proper liquid level and the other is the level in my phone. Yes, the stand is on carpeting, but it's about six inches away from the wall (to give me room to access the back of the tank). I've been checking intermittently throughout the week and the tank and stand have both been level the entire time.

I was starting to wonder if maybe the black plastic upper rim of my tank was just uneven, causing the water level to appear uneven when it wasn't...but since this morning the water seems to be more (still not perfectly) even.

You do know houses settle right ? Your house is just uneven slightly... My house is like this... All of my tanks in my house are a little uneven... My pentagon in the corner of my bedroom the water level is higher in the front then the back.. My 30g tank in the kitchen is 1/3 higher on the right side then the left so when the water evaps the left side I always see the low level first.. My 55g is like this too..

Uneven floors or the foundation settling when the house was built creates uneven flooring... Nothing is perfect...

and unless you have like an inch of water higher on one side I wouldn't worry about 1/3 or 1/4 of an inch.. My tanks have been in this specific house for 11 years now and they haven't leaked.. and my 30g is 20 years old and with the original seals

I do know that houses settle. My concern was whether the difference would make my tank unsafe. Unfortunately I struggle with anxiety so whenever I see something that could potentially go wrong, I'm convinced it will go wrong. However, I am glad and to hear that this shouldn't put my tank in danger. Thanks again for all the responses!

If you are that concerned about the uneven level get something to go under the tank on the side that's too high to even it up. But In my opinion messing with it will just cause problems..

Leave good enough alone

Back
Top Bottom