Unexpected surprise...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetness8t5

Aquarium Advice Activist
So the 35g that I have been posting about left and right that I'm going to get... and what kind of fish I can get and etc
Turned out to be a 55g!!! *yipeeee*

Story:
I called the guy I was going to get the 35g from today and he said to "call back tomorrow".. guy has NO manners whatsoever!!! Anytime I talked to him he was rude!!! And frankly didn't want to buy it from him. Only reason why I was going to buy it was because it came with literally-Everything! (heater, stank, lights, decorations, and even fish)

But I feel like I shouldn't put up with that kind of attitude from anybody, so my search on Craigslist continued when I found this one 55g with stank for $75. (it doesn't include a lid or filter, but still-it's 55g!!!)
I talked to lady down to $57, which is all I had, and she said OK. *yay*

My friend has a filter she thinks will be powerful enough, and I found some hoods at the LFS for pretty cheap.

Thing is... it was too heavy to clean properly... so is there anything on the market that could clean the tank that would be safe?
Like I found this class cleaner at the pet store that says it's safe for inside and outside the tank. I forgot what it's called. It's already in my room and I DO NOT plan to move it again.. faaaaaaaaar too heavy and I'm WEAK!

ANYWAYZ, well it's filled with water and cycling, I'll be sure to post pics!!! =)

Ahahaha! Congrats on the tank!! It's exciting setting it up. Cleaning-wise though? I just used a scrubby sponge and elbow grease on my tank(but it was already up and had dried algae inside) When I first got my 29 gal, I used dawn soap to clean it out, but I thouroughlyrinsed it afterwards. Once again, congrats!! I expect ALOT of pics and updates :)

FWaddict said:
Ahahaha! Congrats on the tank!! It's exciting setting it up. Cleaning-wise though? I just used a scrubby sponge and elbow grease on my tank(but it was already up and had dried algae inside) When I first got my 29 gal, I used dawn soap to clean it out, but I thouroughlyrinsed it afterwards. Once again, congrats!! I expect ALOT of pics and updates :)

There's no algae build up, I think it's calcium(?) deposits/build up. It's already in my room and I don't want to take it back downstairs so I was just thinking of using aquiarium-safe razor blades and clean it with water changes (ya know?)... then any left over water to soak it up with a towel.
I think I'll be fine???

Vinegar often works well for deposits--probably cheaper than the pet store cleaner too. Just be careful with what you use to scrub...glass is less easy to scratch than acrylic (I'm assuming it's glass if it's that heavy) but you still can scratch it.

fish 'n' fries said:
Vinegar often works well for deposits--probably cheaper than the pet store cleaner too. Just be careful with what you use to scrub...glass is less easy to scratch than acrylic (I'm assuming it's glass if it's that heavy) but you still can scratch it.

There are already a few small scratches on it but I'm fine with it. I don't think it'll be noticeable with it set up and stuff.
I was thinking of these products:
lg_8037_4598d.jpg

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...1182698146071&itemNo=9&In=Fish&N=2030062&Ne=2

lg_57362_54ad5.jpg

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...182698146098&itemNo=15&In=Fish&N=2030062&Ne=2

And elbow grease.. do you think the green spray really is fish safe (as it claims to be)?

Eh, I personally don't like using chemical near my tank period. I would go for the vinegar. It isn't hazardous to your fish, and you know the chemical thats in it... vinegar.

Not to steal the thread but I have a quick question... How can I remove water spots on the front of my tank stand? It's a black stand, I got it from walmart, I've had it for roughly 2 years and it is a great stand... even though it is walmart brand. I tried using windex on the stand, I tried wiping it with vinegar, I tried other glass cleaners. The water spots just dont come off. When the tank is wet from the vinegar or cleaning solutions, it is gone... but then it dries and comes back

Vinegar works really well on the hard water deposits. If you have stubborn ones, wet paper towel with vinegar and stick it to the sides to soak it a little. Rinse, rinse, rinse with clean water.

Congratulations-very exciting stuff!!!! :D

FWaddict said:
Eh, I personally don't like using chemical near my tank period. I would go for the vinegar. It isn't hazardous to your fish, and you know the chemical thats in it... vinegar.

Not to steal the thread but I have a quick question... How can I remove water spots on the front of my tank stand? It's a black stand, I got it from walmart, I've had it for roughly 2 years and it is a great stand... even though it is walmart brand. I tried using windex on the stand, I tried wiping it with vinegar, I tried other glass cleaners. The water spots just dont come off. When the tank is wet from the vinegar or cleaning solutions, it is gone... but then it dries and comes back

You might need to sand and repaint or whatever... hm, have you tried CLR???

And thanks for stealing my thunder! JKJKJK lolol

CLR on a wooden tank stand? Sanding and repainting requires taking my tank down :( maybe color in with a sharpie??

FWaddict said:
CLR on a wooden tank stand? Sanding and repainting requires taking my tank down :( maybe color in with a sharpie??

CLR on a wooden tank stand?
Hey, why not? I would do it.. lol.

Sanding and repainting requires taking my tank down
I don't see why you have to, I was thinking of just doing the trouble-some spot... I guess I've been watching Trading Spaces too much!! =P

maybe color in with a sharpie??
And even better!!! hahahaha... I had to do that before on numerous of things... like my dresser(brown sharpie) and a stereo stand(black sharpie) I had. It's not a perfect match (of course), but it will camouflage the stain.

Hahahaha yea I guess I am stuck with probably sharpy-ing it in, anyways the thread is back to you lol GRATS ON THE TANK :)

sweetness8t5 said:
Only reason why I was going to buy it was because it came with literally-Everything! (heater, stank, lights, decorations, and even fish)

But I feel like I shouldn't put up with that kind of attitude from anybody, so my search on Craigslist continued when I found this one 55g with stank for $75. (it doesn't include a lid or filter, but still-it's 55g!!!)
I talked to lady down to $57, which is all I had, and she said OK. *yay*

=)

so is the stank the reason you have to clean it so much? :lol:

Great find!

I have had good luck with a new razor blade on stubborn calcium deposits. I'm a fan of using bleach to clean tanks with. It may not cut the deposits, but I know I can rinse and treat with a dechlor with little or no long term effects. Plus it just seems like a good idea to try and kill as much of what ever is in the tank from the previous use.

Good luck! We expect lots of pics as you go.

Have you tried Distilled White Vinegar with a stiff-bristled toothbrush? Works great if the surface isn't perfectly smooth.

Back
Top Bottom