Unexplained fish kill causes major stench

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a massive kill off this year on the rock river too. I am a good 40 miles away from that river due east and when the winds shifted to the west, oh man it stunk.

There is a bear lure out there that is called "12 miles of dead fish", watch your backs, those wild hogs love that smell too.

This was ours.
saukvalley.com | Fish kill still raising questions

they think a train derailment spilled something but the EPA and DNR have not found anything wrong with the water( for what that is worth) Whats worse is this river is a trophy producing river, the pic of that flathead is an average size flathead for that river. It put a big hurt on the tournaments there this year thus hurting the local economy even worse.

Id have to agree with the florida EPA statement, low oxygen. Too many species to be anything genetic and/or bacterial/virus ect.

I was watching that on TV the day it happened, flames could be seen from a few miles away. I live right next to the rock river, about 10 or so miles away from where it happened too. The rain was terrible that day. It was ethanol that leaked from the tanks. They think that the tracks were washed out due to the rain and that is what caused the derailment. I'm betting that it was the ethanol that caused it. Why else would almost every fish in the river die just a day or two after the derailment?

I just found it weird it happened miles downstream from there and not in the major creeks but the fish didnt pop up right away either.

Every couple of years or so when mallard landfill err forest preserve w/ very nice lake will release some gasses and there is a 60% or so die off there. I think the fox and kish had a die off maybe 15 or so years back too w/ no cause found.

The rock was a sad die off, there were alot of anglers looking forward to the tourneys. I just fished out in apple canyon instead of the rock this year, safe to eat not safe to wade? I dun thinka so.

It really is rediculous. I kinda expect to see these things more though. It is getting hotter as the years go by and climates change. I don't think man unnderstands what it is doing to the earth. With global warming and all it is having DRASTIC effects. That is intersting you bring that up though, i know there was a massive fish killing a couple years back here when a massive red tide moved in. The signs are everywere. There are sevral creeks/lakes around here that are great fishing spots but there alot that i would not dare to eat a fish that comes out of it. But i have realized over the years that the places i don't want to eat from that have people around it and if you want a safe/clean place to eat fish from you have to go were there is no people. I think it is obvious were the problem lies.

oh my i remember when it hit seaside oregon where i used to live it killed off all the shad and town stunk so bad it was awful.. so i can imagine how bad it is there it left finally about 3 days later

Bah! Global warming is a load of crap, we barely saw 80's this summer.....Right now it is sitting around and 50 when it is supposed to be low-mid 70's compared to years before. They did somewhat restock the rock about a month after the accident, will most likely take years to get back to what used to be. River is dirty to begin with, I'm surprised that water is even able to support fish with all the crap that is in it like tires, aluminum cans, car parts, etc....just sad to see.

Here's another on the accident that happened back in June: Illinois Goes After Canadian National for Ethanol Train Derailment

Bah! Global warming is a load of crap

What :confused:. You actually believe global warming is not real? It is so obvious that it is occuring, just because it is not affecting were you are directly does not mean it is not happening. The polar ice caps are dissapearing. There are studies that show that ocean sea levels have risen while at the same time the ice caps have shrunk considerablly. So don't tell me global warming is not real.

But yes, it does seem to be happening more often dosen't it. I wonder how the fish populations have changed in the past sevral decades? I mean between things like this and over fishing and what not i am sure the fish populations are dwindeling.

imo its just a cycle... think about the ice age... heat up, cool off, heat up, cool off....

Very good perspective on things.I agree with you, but i think it is being influenced a little more by human influence.

I won't get into the debate about whether or not human are having a direct and profound affect on global warming.

I think that a lot of people are now focused on industries pumping CO2 into our atmosphere because of what they seen on TV. Since the media has depicted carbon dioxide as an "evil" substance that humans are exposing our environment to, people have lost focus on other pollutants that industries pump out.

Whether or not we're the cause of global warming, I still think that we can attempt to reduce those other pollutants that we know are detrimental to our environment. Not only that, we could reduce our garbage output. Isn't there a garbage patch in the middle of the Pacific Ocean that's literally hundreds of miles in diameter?

If the fish deaths happened in a river, i don't think it was low oxygen. Probably something toxic to fish that has already been swept downstream.

Re: Global warming, watch Penn and Teller's Bulls**t

It really is just a normal cycle the earth is going through. If you look at the past cycles the earth does go through a heat up then a cool down.

Not saying as humans we haven't done some damage but we really haven't done as much as Al Gore and his followers say.

That is true, i really do think it is a giant earth cycle. Lol, you never know, we might have a massive ice age in the future. Get you coats ready people.

Yep car was frozen this morning and its only oct 10th, this is mid-late novemeber weather, mini ice age here we come( glad I can fish and hunt in the cold)

Back
Top Bottom