Unhappy Synodontis' :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SynoSteff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know I just posted but thought these ideas/questions needed 2 different topics. If this is a bad idea, I'll combine them.

Anyways,

I have a system consisting of 6 fishtanks (1.2m x 0.4m x 0.45m). They are set up as 2 columns of 3 (2 across, 3 down). The one tank is the filter tank. It is filled with large filter brushes and there is a large pump, which pumps the water into the top 2 tanks. The water then flows down through the other tanks and then back into the filter. Before each overflow, the water runs through a sponge as a bit of mechanical filtration. I run a compressor, which pushes air into 1 large airstone in each tank and 2 in the filter. 3 of the tanks also have powerheads in them with air intakes. I also have 2 bags of shell sand in the filter to buffer the water and keep the hardness up a bit.

Each tank has a layer of 2-3mm what gravel (about 2-3cm thick). The fish have black pvc pipe to hide in. I am planning on breeding these fish so I was told to make everything as simple as possible.

My fish aren't too happy. They don't eat very well. Some used to but haven't since i put the pipes in (used to have brick caves at the back). Changes this about 10days ago so they should be used to it by now. I make my own food, I got the recipe from a profesional catfish breeder. They dont seem to like store bought food much either. Or even earth worms or bloodworms. So i'm thinking my system might be at fault. Have tested the levels in my tanks and they are at accpetable levels.

Any ideas? Need help!

Also, because they aren't eating, many of the tanks are getting a white fungus like growth on the gravel and filter sponges, which comes back every day, even after gravel vac. I vac at least one tank a day doing at least a 50% water change on that tank. This adds up to roughly 50% a week.

Any comment, questions and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Oh, and would it maybe be a good idea to take out the gravel and simply have a glass bottom for ease of cleaning?

By acceptable levels what do you mean exactly? 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some nitrates? Perhaps the water filtration isn't enough to keep the water clean enough for their liking? Do you know what your water overturn per hour is? I'm just taking guesses here but IME water quality issues are what usually affect fish in the manner you are describing. I'd love to see a pic of your setup btw.

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking the same thing and I am planning a filter overhaul soon. I want to compartmentalize the filter tank so that the water is forced to flow through the filter media a bit better. At the moment it is just a plan tank with a pump and filter brushes packed into it. There is loads of air being pumped into the filter tank via air stones, trickling, and various jets of water spraying over the brushes. The ammonia and nitrites are 0 with low nitrates so it is doing the job. It might be able to do a better job tho. I will take a pic as soon as I get a cam in the next 2 weeks or so.

I cant tell what the low rate is. (is there an easy way to measure?) because the main pump has loads of T peices in it. Re-directing water into a UV sterilizer and a few directing water over the filter brushes, as the pump was too strong for my system. There is also a ball valve, which I use to control the flow a bit.

I just dont know what to do apart from fixing up my sump a bit.

:(

Back
Top Bottom