Unhealthy Habits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enadeau12

Aquarium Advice Activist
i went to black shark today and talked to my fish guy. unfortunatley i went against his word and bought a fish from petco and it came down with ich! ick! but yeah i have aqua sol to treat the problem with, he said it was the best, or the safest. while i was there he asked what my ph was and i told him that it was around 7.2, he flipped and said it should be around 6.8, but told me not to play with it. (to high for my rams and kribs) i dont understand tho because if i dont play with it will it come down?

He obviously has absolutely no clue when it comes to rams. I've bred rams in a pH of 8.0 woth a GH of 300ppm along with discus in the same "liquid rock". I've never had any problems and I had over 99% fertility on my last clutch of ram eggs. I guess you can take his word or my experience on the matter. 7.2 is PERFECTLY FINE. If you try to mess with it you are dumber than the guy at the fish store!

As for the ick, treat it with formalin and malachite green. Both of these are commonly found in "Quick Cure" for ick. You won't notice ick on the fish after 36 hours. I've used it many times after my Endlers give birth and it's the best in my opinion.

What fish do you have? Almost any ph along the safe range is fine as long as it is stable. Especially since they are already adapted to it they are perfectly fine. Ich is more or less present in every aquarium especially any fish store but it is an opportunistic parasite that will prey on weak fish. If your tank is uncycle or just the move could have stressed it out enough to lower its immune system.

Slowly raise your temp up to around 82 and increase airation. I have never used a ich medicine but I know they don't work very well. Your best bet is to make sure all your parameters are stable and raise the temp.

If bs says ich medicine works I would go with it. Lol but raising the temp speeds up the life cycle of the parasite that will definitally help I think.

If bs says ich medicine works I would go with it. Lol but raising the temp speeds up the life cycle of the parasite that will definitally help I think.
@ 82* it will not only speed up the lifecycle of Ich, it will make the infestation worse.The only advantage in that temp range is in conjunction with meds.
If you want to treat Ich with heat it has to be above 86* before it will help. 87*-89* even better.

Back
Top Bottom