unidentified swimming shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nedge85

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone help?
I've been keeping shrimp for 1yr with mild success. I mixed habitat of cherry, bee, rainbow, orange delight, glass and bamboo (yes i know bamboo are different variety altogether). About 5 months ago i discover wot i cud only describe as a hybrid ( the strange looking throw backs described through cross breeding); but after being missing for around a month i believed him dead as hybrids are sed to have a short life.

But today after a total rescape of the tank, he reappeared and finally in full view.

He's around 10cm long (head to tail), body type and colouring of a bamboo (minus the stripe), 3/4 inch narrow claws (not fans like a bamboo).

Any ideas on what "Kong" is?

Predfan27 said:
Did you by chance buy an Amano Shrimp at one point?

Its possible as they are sometimes sold (rightly or wrongly) as glass shrimp. U have an idea?

Pic is Near on impossible, tried several times before his dissappearance and never clear due to angle, lighting, flass, glass reflection.
Now realised he burrow in substrum (fluval ebi substrum) when strong light near

manbeast said:
must see pictures "PLEASE"

These are the best i can get. Like i sed he takes cover

ForumRunner_20120812_003257.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120812_003237.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120812_003237.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 119
+1 to predfan on the long arm prawn, take care you may want yo remove or rehome this critter as I've heard they can grow fast and large and can be voracious predators

Sometimes when they're small they can be sold as a Glass Shrimp, I think maybe that's where he came from.

So we thinking a 2cm white/clear glass shrimp with no claws has grown to that?!!

nedge85 said:
These are the best i can get. Like i sed he takes cover

That's a scary looking critter! And those claws look like they are designed to get lunch that puts up a lot more fight than algae!

Good luck with it.

This explains wer two bamboos have gone and they were fully grown 5/6cm a piece

Predfan27 said:
...you're not going to breed one from bee and cherry shrimp...

U wouldnt have thought it come from a tiny glass looking shrimp either

Heres the clearest pic i have of "kong"

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120813_213231.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120813_213231.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom