Unique fish for 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Billbug68 said:
Chocolate gourami and school of tetras?

Chocolate gouramis are really pretty! But not many people have success with them. Most tetras won't work and need a 20 gallon or larger. There is one type called ember tetras which would work.

A 10g is very limiting in "unique" species you can keep. Try the Croaking Gourami or the Dwarf Croaking Gourami (T. Vittata and Pulmia respectively). A Scarlet Badis is also an option.

I'd do Blue-Eye rainbowfish. They need a school, but they're so tiny you can have them in a 10g. Has to be well planted. Need more females than males. Gorgeous little fish.

Most Petsmarts will have the Forktail species.

Forktail:
P_furcatus_GS.jpg

Spotted:
P_gertrudae_Weipa.jpg

Good suggestions from predfan! As much as I enjoy keeping T pumila, the one specimen of T vittata I have had the pleasure of keeping for several months, has been one of my favorite fish of all time. Hubs and I maintain 75+ tanks so for us, that is really saying something. Lol.

I would also add sparkle eye white clouds to the list of possibilities here.

I would personally skip the chocolate gouramis (or licorice gouramis for that matter) unless you willing to do a dedicated black water species tank. Seriously, these species are found in the wild sometimes at Ph under 5.0. They are unlikely to accept most prepared foods, and you need to be prepared to supplement with live, or at a minimum, frozen. They are two of the more challenging species I have kept in the past 9 years in the hobby and do NOT tend to fare well in general community setups.

Forktail blue eyes (or rainbows, as they say, even though they aren't) are pseudomugil furcatus. As these attain a Max size of about 2 inches, and are fairly active swimmers, I wouldn't really recommend them for a ten gal. I would be much more likely to recommend pseudomugil Gertrudae OR signifer. JMHO.

Last edited:
severum mama said:
Good suggestions from predfan! As much as I enjoy keeping T pumila, the one specimen of T vittata I have had the pleasure of keeping for several months, has been one of my favorite fish of all time. Hubs and I maintain 75+ tanks so for us, that is really saying something. Lol.

I would also add sparkle eye white clouds to the list of possibilities here.

I would personally skip the chocolate gouramis (or licorice gouramis for that matter) unless you willing to do a dedicated black water species tank. Seriously, these species are found in the wild sometimes at Ph under 5.0. They are unlikely to accept most prepared foods, and you need to be prepared to supplement with live, or at a minimum, frozen. They are two of the more challenging species I have kept in the past 9 years in the hobby and do NOT tend to fare well in general community setups.

+1 to the Chocolate Gourami statement. And also the T. Vittata. Good ol' blue eyes, I have one in my 10g at the moment. They are kinda shy, but characters none the less. I would highly recommend them.

You may, as others are pointing out, want to bypass having a single "unique" species and go with some smaller schooling fish. Some Beckfords Pencilfish would work, or a larger group of Boraras species (small colorful Rasboras).

severum mama said:

Thanks for the correction mumma, I actually saw these at petsmart and only researched the size real quick before making the suggestion. I guess I assumed care would be the same as a normal DG(which I have in my 10g and absolutely love.) Note to self; next time do a little more research! Haha, well I think the OP has some good ideas now! Thanks again! :)

I second the sparkle eye white clouds. Also, embers were mentioned, they are awesome little guys. Also, there are scarlet badies, jellybean tetras, clown killisfish, Norman's lampeye killifish, chili rasbora, dwarf spot rasbora, green neons, phoenix rasbora, emerald rasboras, pygmy sunfish, least killifish, Endler's livebearers, dwarf anchor catfish, dwarf cories, daisy's ricefish, sparling gouramis, betta (there are many species other than just the commonly seen Betta spllendens), shell dwelling cichlids, celestial pearl danio, dwarf puffer, fw bumblebee goby, oto, ruby tetra, blue neon rasbora, and yellow neon rasbora. Some of these have been mentioned before, but I threw them on the list just for the sake of being thorough. Also, there are even more microrasboras than the ones I listed. Keep in mind that not all of these species are compatible together and each one needs to be researched to make sure you can meet it's needs.

Back
Top Bottom