Unknow Baby Snail Found?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishbreeder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I found like 8-15 baby snail in my 10 gallon tank which is where all the baby fry is and it seem like they got in with live plant i got 4 week ago. The snail is growing and i saw one which is nasty looking (To Me) kinda. I want to know the snail i have now is safe or bad? I'll take a picture tomorrow when the sun is up.

Pictures would be helpful. There are certain types of snails that are helpful in an aquarium. Malaysian Trumpet snails are great for keeping the substrate clean. They burrow through the substrate eating left overs and aerates the substrate as they move about. Ramshorn snail are good at fighting of algae as with nerite snails as well (though doubt its nerite as they don't reproduce in fresh water). The key with snails is if they begin multiplying fast then they have a large food source. They can also be the "canary" in your tank. When they begin climbing to the surface then you can be certain there's something wrong in the water.

Probably just pest snails. Your going to have to get rid of them or they will keep multiplying.

p52q3wck1
vd56jhgaj
No they're not on the surface , they're just on the wall , ground and the plant. They're the little black dots

Picture is small hard to tell, either pond(bladder) or ramshorn. Which neither are harmful to your aquarium

Can you get a closer pic?

I'm going to say they are pond snails. It's difficult to tell from pictures but I think it's a safe bet.

I've found that pond snail eat anything in the tank including live plants. Ramshorn snails prefer algae and decaying plant matter

Looks like a pond snail snail. Some people say they eat plants some people say they don't. Personally I would remove them before they get out of control. If you want some snails nerite would be the way to go, they are great algae eaters and they can have baby's unless there in brackish water

Back
Top Bottom