Unknown Ammonia Source

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I say don't worry about it, and let it just run its course.

Im trying to be patient. Ammonia back up to 4 (was about 1 this morning).

Here are a few pics of the white stuff on the plants.
On the crypto leaves:
image-4220499333.jpg
On the clover stems
image-790433348.jpg
On the banana plant leaves
image-2977600793.jpg
Moss ball
image-2551870589.jpg

Im trying to be patient. Ammonia back up to 4 (was about 1 this morning).

Here are a few pics of the white stuff on the plants.
On the crypto leaves:

On the clover stems

On the banana plant leaves

Moss ball

When exactly do you test for the ammonia? You said you dose flourish comprehensive which contains ammonium. Is it possible that your 1 ppm in the morning is correct and when you dose the flourish your getting a false positive? Chemical tests cannot distinguish between ammonia and ammonium, while one is toxic and the other is not, the tests will still show the ammonia presence.

When exactly do you test for the ammonia? You said you dose flourish comprehensive which contains ammonium. Is it possible that your 1 ppm in the morning is correct and when you dose the flourish your getting a false positive? Chemical tests cannot distinguish between ammonia and ammonium, while one is toxic and the other is not, the tests will still show the ammonia presence.

I usually test before and after a big water change. To limit the factors, I have not added any ferts since the restart on Sunday. That includes root tabs as well.

Also, I did not replant the cabomba after giving it a peroxide bath; left it soaking in tap water. Yesterday the 6.6g tank it has been in is very cloudy (like milk) and the surface has a think film on it. Apparently the peroxide did not kill off the whatever it is.

I usually test before and after a big water change. To limit the factors, I have not added any ferts since the restart on Sunday. That includes root tabs as well.

Also, I did not replant the cabomba after giving it a peroxide bath; left it soaking in tap water. Yesterday the 6.6g tank it has been in is very cloudy (like milk) and the surface has a think film on it. Apparently the peroxide did not kill off the whatever it is.

Maybe the peroxide bath inhibited a mini cycle? The film is probably just bio film I can't imagine you have this massive infestation it just doesn't add up

Maybe the peroxide bath inhibited a mini cycle? The film is probably just bio film I can't imagine you have this massive infestation it just doesn't add up

Not sure what the peroxide did. Took the algae off for sure. I don't think this is just biofilm. I will have to dump the water+cabomba before it starts to smell.
I did NOT change the water this morning. I bet the ammonia is 8+ now (I'll check it later).
Anyhow, I have two bags of EcoComplete waiting in case...

It sounds like you have something rotting in the tank. That looks like fungus that you can sometimes get growing in a particularly bad case.

It's not the peroxide. The film is pretty normal too.

Well I figured out how to get my ammonia back to zero...

image-277344524.jpg

Total restart. Eco complete, plants, and media removed. Pulled moss off the DW and boiled it (boiled the DW not the moss). Tank and heater wiped down with vinegar and rinsed. Scrubbed filter with a toothbrush and vinegar. I had to run to a LFS to get a replacement u-shaped intake tube for the AC 50 because for some reason it ended up in a boiling pot with the DW and was warped beyond use. Heater in place, filter with no media running. Substrate will be added in the next few days. Plants after that.

Parameters are 0/0/5

Ruining the intake tube forced me to visit an overpriced LFS; they did have a nice selection of stuff not found in the big box stores. They also had red cherry and red rili shrimp. I spoke with one of the employees and they can order those and other types of shrimp.

Just curious as to how the restart is going?

Tonight I drained the tank, added 40# of EcoComplete, sloped it higher in the back corners, and slowly added water dosed with Prime. Of course the water is pretty cloudy anyway because of the EC. I cut up 4 pieces of MarineLand filter matt fiber (the stuff that is white on one side and blue on the other) and placed that in the HOB. Added a few mLs of API's version of a water clarifier. Going to let it settle/filter out.

Even though the manzanita has been boiled and dried, I am soaking it again in a smaller tank for a couple of days and will test pH and Ammonia.

Received a package today from ThatPetPlace which included a new intake tube for an AC50, 3 pack of sponges for an AC50, a nylon bag for the biomax, Seachem Excel, and more test solution for Ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom