Unknown growth on fake plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfrye

Aquarium Advice Regular
My father in law has a 29g freshwater tank with some unknown growth on his fake plants. There was more before, but he cleaned off the plants and most went away. He is going to clean the plants again to get rid of the rest of it, but wanted to know what it is and prevent it from returning. It also appears his tank is cycling again as shown below. He was using ammo lock to help with ammonia, but hasn't seen any change from it. Advised him to stop the ammo lock and do a 50-75% WC. He tested his water source and doesn't have any ammonia in the source water. The water he uses does go through a water softener.

Ph 7.4
Ammonia 4-8 ( debate on the green )
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Sand substrate, air stone and over the back filter with bio wheel.

.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395010853.073967.jpg

Stocked with 6 small tetras.

Thanks for your input.

Probably just diatoms, it will go away on its own, that amm is crazy high! What's his stock?

Is there something dead and rotting possibly? I can't see how 6 small fish could get amm that high in a 29 gal???

Not sure why it spiked. I got him down to one feeding a day. The light is on less than 8 hours as well. Last water change was 3 weeks.

Just found out water in the tank is 50/50 RO water and water through a water softener.

What's with the fancy water? Weekly changes will yield the best results in terms of water quality, sounds like he's got a plan though..

The "fancy" water is just how they setup their house for cleaner drinking water and better water quality. Not uncommon in Arizona. Our water is crazy hard.

Water hardness reported in the water quality report is between 190ppm and 289ppm or 11 - 17 grains/gallon.

Back
Top Bottom