Unknown Invert ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moose9

Aquarium Advice Activist
img_1129840_0_41fc984a53a27758ddc4570884df03bc.jpg

img_1129840_1_3e65ef0a948238853e12487d583eede0.jpg

** look to the bottom right corner where the gravel line begins, blown up 2X above.

Tank is 10 gallon, planted w/ only cherry and amano shrimp. These do not look the same as similar sized baby shrimp, they seem to want to burry int he gravel, are always on the moss ball, and swim wildly. Have a round appearance but appear to be able to extent out a flat body. most are 1-2mm across some up to 5mm across.

Any idea what these are, and how to get rid of them?

oh thats it! thanks for quick response.
So, i dont like these scuds in my tank and want them gone, how can i go about doing this?
can i feed them to my cichlid tank?

Scuds also known as amphipods I think. What kind of cichlids? African cichlids might get bloat from eating them. Why do you not like them? I don't think they're harmful in anyway (although I'm not 100% certain just pretty sure I'm not a scud expert lol)

They're considered food by most, but they shouldn't harm anything. They're kind of like the earthworms of water :p. Kinda like the pond snail, except they're more acceptable food to fish, breed more slowly (I think) won't eat your plants, and clean up all the decomposing stuff on the bottom. I'd assuming feeding them, or reducing the amount of decaying matter would take care of them pretty quickly. People are selling these things for 10$ on ebay, so keep that in mind :p (for 100 btw)

use your gravel vac to suck them out. they are common in invert only tanks nothing there to eat them. i put Heterandria formosa in my shrimp tank from time to time to help clear out the extra bugs.

So, they breed easy and fish like to eat them? Hmm... maybe I need to start up a tank for these. I've been looking for an easy to breed live food for my fish. One that won't cost me a ton. Would this be it? :p

Scuds? thats cute. in SW they are pods, and cultivated in refugiums to help feed the fish.

Back
Top Bottom