Unknown pleco??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big-j

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everybody, I saw a very unusual pleco in the lfs yesterday and it looks pretty cool so I'm considering it, it was bout 3 in and mottled brown and goldish color, no obvious spots or patterns on it, I'm not gonna get it till I know it won't outgrow my tank but it looks great and I'd love to get it so if you recognize the color pattern please let me lnow

sounds like candy striped pleco
43aa00ef92254381992f8a1698c2dd3c.jpg

Ok, I'll take a guess. Clown? Did the LFS not know what they are selling?

No they just order "plecos" and the company sends a mixed batch mostly commons apparently but sometimes more expensive varieties

Hmmmm.... I'd be cautious and make sure you get an ID before you tank it. I've never seen a fish supplier that didn't know and seperate fancy plecos. Maybe some slip in, but ancistrus and the smaller plecs are pretty easy to differentiate from "commons".

Here's some pics

Attachments

• image-3208720570.jpg
    image-3208720570.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3052186399.jpg
    image-3052186399.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 64
  • image-3272416811.jpg
    image-3272416811.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image-1395170872.jpg
    image-1395170872.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 64
No offense, but it doesn't really look like anything that special to me. Maybe a cool coloration, but it is likely a common or sailfin. The link I posted in the first response will give you an idea. There are literally 100s and probably closer to 1000s of pleco species and variations with the majority of them not yet properly described. To properly ID them requires multiple specific trait analysis and a ton more experience than just about anyone here has. Again, no offense is intended. Toddnbecka would be about the only "expert" that comes to mind on this board. Speculation and guesses will likely only leave you with false hope and misconceptions of the fish's needs. And worse yet, may lead someone else who finds this thread in months or years to make the same mistake. JMO

Yea the first pic shows a common pleco with a bit of discoloration going on. Eventually it will be all brown with dark spots. They get these discolorations sometimes after PWC's or during feeding time...possibly from stress too.

HN1 said:
No offense, but it doesn't really look like anything that special to me. Maybe a cool coloration, but it is likely a common or sailfin. The link I posted in the first response will give you an idea. There are literally 100s and probably closer to 1000s of pleco species and variations with the majority of them not yet properly described. To properly ID them requires multiple specific trait analysis and a ton more experience than just about anyone here has. Again, no offense is intended. Toddnbecka would be about the only "expert" that comes to mind on this board. Speculation and guesses will likely only leave you with false hope and misconceptions of the fish's needs. And worse yet, may lead someone else who finds this thread in months or years to make the same mistake. JMO

None taken, I'm just looking for info because I don't want to buy a fish incompatible with my tank size, I saw one I didn't recognize and was just wondering if anyone else had a clue thanks for the input everyone I really appreciate it

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom