Unknown tropical fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dunder-head

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
If anyone could help with this it would be great! One of the fish in my tank is the white one seen in the photos (called Ice :D) and basically i have no idea what he is! The pet shop said he was an albino pleco but no plecos ive seen look like him!
Thankyou!

Attachments

• image-4186379076.jpg
    image-4186379076.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 75
  • image-1784591891.jpg
    image-1784591891.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 89
dunder-head said:
Hi,
If anyone could help with this it would be great! One of the fish in my tank is the white one seen in the photos (called Ice :D) and basically i have no idea what he is! The pet shop said he was an albino pleco but no plecos ive seen look like him!
Thankyou!

thats not a pleco its probly a silver molly or platy. may i ask what you stock is what there kept in and what your filtration is

I'm not sure what he is, but he definitely is not a pleco!

I want to say Molly or Platy, but I'm not the best at ID. Let's wait for someone else to post.

Thankyou! Just googled both of those, and he is def a silver molly :D . We have a 30l biorb with the molly, 4 neon tetras, 4 adult guppys and 6 guppy fry (the guppys bred :s). The guppys were supposed to be all male (they look like males, v vivid colours!) . We also have a 90l tank with 2 goldfish and a borneo pleco, and another unknown silver coloured fish! Since youve been so helpful, any idea what the silver guy is?
Cheers again!

Attachments

• image-641026478.jpg
    image-641026478.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 66
  • image-1757419760.jpg
    image-1757419760.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 63
your 90l as well goldfish are very messy you need i beleive 30gallons for one and another 10g for each goldfish there after

im not sure of that silver guy but it's in your best interest and your fishes health to look into a upgrade or rehome some fish

Neither are overstocked, both have less then the recommended inches of fish. And by your maths the goldfish would need a 190l tank - thats huge! All the fish are perfectly happy, and we check the ph/chemical levels of the water often - no problems. Thanks for the help though with the molly!

dunder-head said:
Neither are overstocked, both have less then the recommended inches of fish. And by your maths the goldfish would need a 190l tank - thats huge! All the fish are perfectly happy, and we check the ph/chemical levels of the water often - no problems. Thanks for the help though with the molly!

i understand that there less than the inch but guppys.n tetra like swimming room wich you need a nice amount of horizontal space and both need schools of 6+ to be happy and the gold fish can get up to 18in long each and are huge waste producers. you really do need a huge tank to keep goldfish because in a 24us gallon tank they will become stunted but their internal organs will continue to grow. im not trying to be pushy or bossy just trying to educate and provide well being for the fish and prevent future heartache

Please remember everyone on this site has their best interests out for your fish! That's why were here, to help each other out! I would agree that the fish is a silver molly.

I must agree with wolfpack, the 30l is very, very overstocked. A single molly needs 10 US gallons, or 38l. 4 guppies need 38l also. Neon tetras should be kept in froups or 6+ and need 20 gallons, or 75l. The molly, guppies, guppy fry, and 6 neon tetras could live in nothing less than a 75l tank with a good filter. A 95l tank would be even better.

Goldfish are very large, very messy fish. They need a ton of space. A single fancy goldfish needs 20 gallons, and each additional goldfish needs an additional 10 gallons.

Common, or commet goldfish, however, need much more space. I believe it is 75 gallons, or 285l, for one common goldfish.

Tropical said:
Please remember everyone on this site has their best interests out for your fish! That's why were here, to help each other out! I would agree that the fish is a silver molly.

I must agree with wolfpack, the 30l is very, very overstocked. A single molly needs 10 US gallons, or 38l. 4 guppies need 38l also. Neon tetras should be kept in froups or 6+ and need 20 gallons, or 75l. The molly, guppies, guppy fry, and 6 neon tetras could live in nothing less than a 75l tank with a good filter. A 95l tank would be even better.

Goldfish are very large, very messy fish. They need a ton of space. A single fancy goldfish needs 20 gallons, and each additional goldfish needs an additional 10 gallons.

Common, or commet goldfish, however, need much more space. I believe it is 75 gallons, or 285l, for one common goldfish.

thanks trop. and thanks for correcting me on the goldfish tank size i wasnt sure if it was 20+10 or 30+10

As you said the fish are happy and you check your levels often. You may be overstocked but if things are fine in the tank and you are doing water changes often then anybody trying to tell you that a fish need x amount of water won't change your opinion which I can understand. I can agree with the advice given as any profile on the internet will say that but at the end of the day it's not always right. By this I don't mean that your not overstocked but for example, I have had 2 black skirt tetras not 6 and they are very happy and very old and lived good lives. I also have 3 arulius barbs not 6 or 8 as people on here will tell you and I have no problem with fin nipping at all.

Tropical boy said:
As you said the fish are happy and you check your levels often. You may be overstocked but if things are fine in the tank and you are doing water changes often then anybody trying to tell you that a fish need x amount of water won't change your opinion which I can understand. I can agree with the advice given as any profile on the internet will say that but at the end of the day it's not always right. By this I don't mean that your not overstocked but for example, I have had 2 black skirt tetras not 6 and they are very happy and very old and lived good lives. I also have 3 arulius barbs not 6 or 8 as people on here will tell you and I have no problem with fin nipping at all.

things are not 100% fine though the fish may be stressed because there so close and not enough space to swim. as for schooling fish they dont exactly need to be in schools its receomended but may not be 100% required

things are not 100% fine though the fish may be stressed because there so close and not enough space to swim. as for schooling fish they dont exactly need to be in schools its receomended but may not be 100% required

Agreed. Plus, how do you know they are happy? It's not like they tell you. Just because it's surviving, doesn't mean it's thriving.

Think of it like this: Imagine you live in a jail cell for your whole life, you have a small bed, some food, a toilet, and maybe a book. You might have a room mate, maybe two. You are alive, right? You will live a long life. But you won't be happy. Fish, like people, need space and have social requirements to make them as happy as possible.

Tropical said:
Agreed. Plus, how do you know they are happy? It's not like they tell you.

How do you know they are unhappy? Its not like they can tell you.

Anyway, am glad i got an answer so quickly about the molly, great community :D its nice to know people care, perhaps leave the never ending overstocked/not discussion for another day?

it may seem like were being pushy but were just tryin to advise you for the best health of your fish. but lets stop this argument about stocking the OP can take the advice or not.

Back
Top Bottom