Unstable pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishliker

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, for some reason I am having problems with the pH in my tanks and am using crushed coral to get tanks within normal limits. Actually need to get the KH up to help this if I understand it. Anyhow, I have a couple of new fish I am wanting to move out of quarentine but current tank is 6.6 and permanent one is 7.2. How much higher do I need the pH in the permanent tank to be to move them?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Anyone? I'm thinking of moving the fish with a long acclimation, 45 minutes or so. I clean tanks tomorrow, figured that would be a good time to do it.

What kind of fish are they and why do you feel you need to be much higher? Except for alkaline loving species like goldfish and some cichlids, a stable 7.2 is peachy. Stability is far more important than the specific pH 99% of the time.

That said, a shift from 6.6 to 7.2 is big, I'd acclimate over at least an hour.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is your KH? That's the critical factor in recommending something to stabilize pH.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

What is your KH? That's the critical factor in recommending something to stabilize pH.

He's using crushed coral and he's at 7.2, he has more than enough of a carbonate buffer to have a stable pH right now. I think he's a little too concerned over the "right" pH for his fish. He's on the right track though.

He's using crushed coral and he's at 7.2, he has more than enough of a carbonate buffer to have a stable pH right now. I think he's a little too concerned over the "right" pH for his fish. He's on the right track though.

You know his KH how?

I used crushed coral and had a pH that swung from 7.2 to 6.6. Turned out even with huge amounts of crushed coral my KH was too low to sustain a stable pH.

I think it's worth asking KH levels before saying "oh you're worrying too much."

Thanks for the responses. The fish are honey gourami. The KH and pH in both tanks were low: in the 10 gallon, the quarentine tank, 3 days ago readings were KH 2, and pH 6.3. This morning, the KH 3 and pH 6.8. In the 29 gallon, 3 days ago KH was 2 and pH 7.2. Now it's 4 and 7.4. So the crushed coral is working. I have been waiting for the pH in the 29 gallon to come up closer to the 10 so I don't kill them with the move. So how about i acclimate them for an hour? Thank for all help.

Not enough co2. Or too much co2. C02 acidifies water.

Kh2 pH 6.3 c02 32ppm. Kh2 pH 7.2 c02 4ppm
Kh3 pH 6.8 c02 15ppm. Kh4 pH 7.4 c02 5ppm

Approx values affected by photosynthesis and carbonic decay.

Look up pH/Kh/co2 chart.
I think that's how some pH controllers work, by c02 injection.

Use an air stone or some surface agitation if you can.

Ok J. Thanks for the info. I did look it up and read the article too. First time I've been exposed to the co2 factor. I was just beginning to understand about the KH part, lol. So now I know one tank is in the green and the other is in the gray. But I don't understand what to do with that info. To help stabilize the KH and pH. I have an air stone I can turn on. Earlier I did a I/3 pwc, and it raised the pH up to 7.4, so I moved the 2 fish. Keeping fingers crossed they do well. Any other advice? Thanks. Sally

What kind of fish are they and why do you feel you need to be much higher? Except for alkaline loving species like goldfish and some cichlids, a stable 7.2 is peachy. Stability is far more important than the specific pH 99% of the time.

That said, a shift from 6.6 to 7.2 is big, I'd acclimate over at least an hour.

Agree 100%

Ok J. Thanks for the info. I did look it up and read the article too. First time I've been exposed to the co2 factor. I was just beginning to understand about the KH part, lol. So now I know one tank is in the green and the other is in the gray. But I don't understand what to do with that info. To help stabilize the KH and pH. I have an air stone I can turn on. Earlier I did a I/3 pwc, and it raised the pH up to 7.4, so I moved the 2 fish. Keeping fingers crossed they do well. Any other advice? Thanks. Sally

Hi Sally,
Glad to have helped, cheers :angel:.
(It's Jamie, I'm beginning to regret j.mcpeak here, it's like a name on a door but the world has an army of Jamie mcpeaks! So that's that.)

It depends how well planted up you are.

Light to normal planting, just an airline on a segment timer (counter to photoperiod)
(Plants produce co2 after lights out and use 02, reverse this for lights on)
(Lights on, plants produce O2 and use co2)
That's why you get day/night pH swings. The Kh helps to reduce the scale of change.

(Lights on 02 off, but it is not exactly at the same time, plants need to warm up a bit and they need to cool down at the end, so the O2 is overlapping lights on in the morning and there is a little break before it starts after lights out)
I mean O2/c02 needs to rise or fall as appropriate.:D

All systems are different, it depends on bio load etc. so test it on yours and see how it works out. I've used this technique almost forever. It's a good trick to help get desired Kh levels and correct? pH.
Once you're dialled in, it's almost plain sailing!

Those charts are co2 levels for plants, not enough for good plant growth is ok/good for the fish. Too much co2 is bad for everything.
In most situations I've dealt with, a few clicks extra or less on the airline timer will balance the pH, or/and just increase/decrease air volume using airline valves in the set up. There is plenty enough co2 in the atmosphere for most except very demanding set ups.

If you have too much co2, increase 02.

Kh is important to help with pH swings but it is one piece of the puzzle. Yes it's the major factor but only one piece of the puzzle.

I'm always learning and just like you, I think I've mastered things, then something else pops up, square one. I think fish keeping is just like snakes and ladders, just somebody stole some ladders.
It's still the best game I've played so far!

((This part is new to me this year, hence lots of thinks and maybes, in any case, the above is stable enough in practical use, this is more of a sideline experiment that I may not even use, maybe I will if I get to fully understand it)
You can use carbonate (acid) buffers but that effects bicarbonate Kh, and for me, here's where it gets complicated. I understand the principle but I'm no scientist!
I can't do the chemical equation for this!:facepalm:
I mean, it's way out of my skill set!
Basically the carbonate reacts with the bicarbonate and release Co2.
(I think) You get the same results (but I'm currently still learning this)
It's common enough but it's new to me at this point. I think you still need the above knowledge to make this work properly but I'm not confident enough to say for sure just yet, after the live test I'll be confident!)

Phew!
Hope the fishes make it ok!(y)

Thanks, Jamie. So much to learn, appreciate the lesson, I will try it. Fish are ok today, getting adjusted.

Back
Top Bottom