unused ABS plastic tubing hiding place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
2 weeks ago I decided I would put in a semi-long 90 degree bent 2" diameter black ABS tubing right before I purchased a red-tail shark (there are a few other hiding places as well).

None of the fish use it. Sometimes the red-tail or a cory will venture into the edge of it but they won't go very far. I would guess that it is because it is a "dark and scary" hole large enough for a big predator to hide in...Would drilling irregular holes in random areas along the tube make it a more suitable dwelling? I did make sure to bury it in the substrate well enough so that there is gravel throughout the internal portion of the tube (and the cories sure do like to try to sit on top of it as they slowly slide down the slick curved outside).

Right now the cories and red tail all share the same hiding place.

I would think that adding some holes is a very good idea and might help. Mybe even cut the piece you have into shorter pieces or in half the long way. But maybe the fish just like their old hiding place, or are intimdated because its new, not because it's dark. I'd give it a few more weeks before giving up on it.

Added some holes and the red tail started exploring it further. He is still used to the area the cories use but seems to be slowly migrating to the "modified" pipe.

Back
Top Bottom