Unwanted Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

valerie_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have snails that will not stop reproducing. I don't want them, but don't know how to get rid of them!! I am afraid to try anything I've seen in pet stores because I have a pregnant molly and 2 baby mollies in the same tank. Any suggestions??

valerie_ said:
I have snails that will not stop reproducing. I don't want them, but don't know how to get rid of them!! I am afraid to try anything I've seen in pet stores because I have a pregnant molly and 2 baby mollies in the same tank. Any suggestions??

I believe that an Assassin Snail would help with your problem.

It's either the the post above or look online and find DIY snail traps. Also cut down on feeding as overfeeding is what causes them to breed more and more. Less food will mean less snails.

I have a ton of mts. Cut back on feeding, it's ok, your fish will be fine to miss a meal or two. Or,go old school and pluck them out by hand, put them in a ziplock bag and put them in the freezer overnight. This will kill them then put the bag+snails in the trash.

Snails are only a problem if you are over feeding or under cleaning. Take care of the root of the problem and they won't be an issue.

Ok, that is all new advice mentioned above ( to me) but another way without chemicals or adding anymore live critters to the aquarium that was told to me was to sink a piece of lettuce after lights out and remove after the four hour mark before lights on and continue every night until no snails are found on the lettuce. I was lucky and have only spotted two snails at the present time.

Hope this helps :)

I read about that lettuce idea on a snail-related website. Give it a try and post if it works. I want to get a snail, too, but don't want to be inundated with babies.

I read about that lettuce idea on a snail-related website. Give it a try and post if it works. I want to get a snail, too, but don't want to be inundated with babies.

Leaf lettuce works best and also run really hot water over it until the lettuce softens up (or just put it in some hot water and let it soak alittle). Snails will come faster to it because it is soft and easier to eat.

I unfortunately inherited the snails with the tank...although I scrubbed it down with hot hot water and vinegar before setting it back up, they still came back. Stubborn...and frustrating. And I am not overfeeding or undercleaning...at one point before the molly fry appeared, I removed all the fish and still the snails thrived. If I ever get rid of them I will never make the mistake of buying any myself. Will try the lettuce...because I really don't want to buy an assassin snail just to kill the crapload of existing snails.

Very slowly. My mollies seem to loves the lettuce more than the snails do! But I have gotten rid of some of them, luckily. I think I may end up trying to get an assassin snail if I can't get the mollies to leave the lettuce alone :)

Back
Top Bottom