update: fridge filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok I just used my fridge filter, and came up with a very good idea, instead of holding a gallon jug under the thing while it slowly fills it up, I took the hose off my gravel siphon and slid it on the spout of the filter in the fridge and ran the other end in the jugs on the table, then I brought them in my room and slid the 3 extra heaters I have down inside them and turned them onto where I had them in the tanks, now by morning my water is not only pure its warmed, this is the poor mans R/O system lol

remeber that all filters have a life span. My guess is the fridge filter would be costly to replace. May want to check how many gallons it filters, find out the cost and see if that is worth it. I was going to do the same thing with the brita on tap filter (for ph reasons) but found that I would be buying a replacement every 2- changes and at 30-40 bucks a pop I didn't see the value.

I'd still invest in an RO system, fridge filters arent meant to filter that much water constantly.

yeah I kinda found that out the hard way, atfirst it made its normal clunk sound when I left off the button, after about the 3rd gallon it got to sound like blocks of ice slammin together, I prolly froze the filter, I found a out a new cartridge is 45 bucks

not to mention you could prematurely wear out the pump that moves the water inside the fridge.

Is there a pump in a fridge? I always figured it worked off of the tap pressure.

no, gotta have a pump. even if it didn't your still replacing that $45 filter every so many gallons and it isn't meant to do like 30 gallons a week...

Back
Top Bottom