Update on babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgrimes68

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_4331.JPG

The eggs have hatched and are growing. Looks like they have all made it so far. Will be moving to grow out tank soon. Any advice for us?

They look good !
I have not raised peacocks before but several other cichlids.
Lower the water level in their new tank if possible so it is easier for them to get to surface .
You can also just add new water instead of wc till tank is full which will help them grow a little before you possibly suck them up !
Baby Brine Shrimp at least 2x a day will expedite the growth along with getting them to a good powder grow food by 3 weeks if possible.
I still feed BBS as long as I can[too many fry to feed forever] but supplementing with good quality food is important.
Steady waterchanges with matched water on the regular once they get going...2-4 weeks old..
What size tank?
I would do Bare Bottom [BB] with a sponge filter and eventually PVC pipes for the fry to explore in.

Thank you for the input it is much appreciated. This is our first time with little ones. We are in the process of setting up the grow out tank. Right now they are still in the big tank in the hatchery. They are just starting to lose their egg sacks. We are doing a 20 grow out with sponge filter. Should we start feeding them now or wait until egg is gone? We have had mixed reviews on that question lol

Food tip:- add Malawi flake onto a teaspoon and add tiny bit of water n mix to make a paste. This can be then added to fry tank and the paste is perfect for their little mouths. I have done this to all my fry. Just also be careful when moving that the don't get sucked into the filter!!

Those are ready to eat now in the picture. Maybe the few on bottom are a little slower but they should be fed within 24 hours of free swimming in most cases.
When I offer first feeding I add very little to see if they eat.They look fat and red bellied if you feed BBS.
They will feed off of what gets drawn to the sponge also.
Well done for first time .(y)

Back
Top Bottom