Update on tropical tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kari

Aquarium Advice Activist
No more fish have died, since the last female guppy. The rest of them appear to be doing well. I started Jungle's Parasite Clear last Wednesday, and am following the instructions for anchor worm. I also started using Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food.

There was a white spot on the tail of one of my mickey mouse platies that I'd noticed for several weeks, and it's gone now, so I think I found the cure for whatever it was on him. Also, he'd been the one I'd mentioned before, in another thread, that had clamped fins on the bottom. I saw him use those fins, and fan them for a second yesterday. That's the first time I've ever seen him do that since I got him a couple months ago, and I've sat there for over an hour before, just watching to see if he would. So I'm having success there for sure, I believe.

I got a new thermometer last week, and a new heater as well. The thermometer consistently says that the water's about 83 to 84 degrees, but J and I both agree that it doesn't FEEL that warm, it only feels like it's in the 70's. I haven't turned the heat up because I know we could be wrong, but it's something to ponder, and to question...any suggestions on what that's about? Could two thermometer's be wrong? One being new? Or is it more likely that he and I just don't know water temps that well? I tried using the regular thermometers for people, I have a few electronic ones, but even after trying each thermometer, it didn't even register a temp at all.

Since this is the forum for unhealthy fish, it's probably the best place to ask about meds, and I have a question about something. I started the male bettas (each in their own bowl) on Mardel's Maracide. It says that it shouldn't be mixed with other anti-parasite treatments. BUT! The anti-parasite medicated food says that the food is safe to mix with other anti-parasite treatments. So, can I feed them the anti-parasite food while I'm treating them with Maracide?

Another note on the bettas...I'd sat their bowls on a heating pad. The heating pad alone didn't seem to be warming the water up much at all. I thought to wrap a small blanket around the bowls this past weekend, not covering up the tops, and now the water's warmed up rather nicely. I've been checking consistently to make sure it doesn't get TOO hot, and it seems to be working pretty well until I can get them in divided tanks, or their own smaller tank. Score for using a mother's touch :)

One other question about meds...
I'm noticing a pinkish/reddish tint in the very tips of the tail fin on a couple of my bettas. Can some meds dye the fins to a degree? They're the ones that I started using maracide for, and I've used tetracycline for them before too.

1. Water feels colder than it is. If the thermometers agree, trust the thermometers.
2. Try one med at a time. Then you can learn what is really effective.
3. Many meds are dyes, and they will dye anything. It could be fin damage also.

I also would stick to one med for the recommended amount of time. How are you dosing the bettas in their bowls?

Apocalypse_Gold,
I'm FAIRLY sure that it isn't fin rot/damage that's causing the discoloration. There does seem to be a small amount of fin damage on one of my bettas that has the discoloration, but the damage was there before the discoloration. Since noticing the reddish tint, I haven't noticed any further deterioration, and I've been watching just in case :)

Meredith,

The way I'm dosing maracide in the betta bowls...

Maracide says 2 tsp. per 10 gallons, which is 1 ml per gallon. I always collect water in a gallon jug anyway, and treat it with aquasafe and let it sit for a few days before I use it in a water change. So I just add the 1 ml to the gallon that I'm using to change each bowl. Speaking of which...they're due for their second dosing tonight, so I'm outta here to get some water changing done :)

And thanks to ALL you guys who've helped me out with advice and stuff, you guys ROCK!

Back
Top Bottom