upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abstract373

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey every1 got a quick question on upgrade.I have a 29 gal right now up and running but its getting crowded do to growth and my impulses question is what is my best options for switching to a 75 gal im going to go sand vs gravel 2 canisters by marineland in line heater and led lighting...going to seed all biowheels pre hand going to use some gravel for seeeding also and have rocks in there now so they get some good bactireas on them to...Do i get this about right hit me up with any info im leaving out dont want to loose any 1

I hear you on that but its seems to ez thats why im posting this incase there is something im leaving out dont want to skip any steps. is there any recommendations the chemicals i should use

You can take all the media from the 29g filter and pop it straight into the canisters. You can hang the old gravel in the new tank in stockings. Transfer the fish the same day and check the parameters regularly over the next few weeks.

good to know makes me feel like i have done it before then...any info on chemicals to use with change over i hear Indian almond leaves can help with the stress on the fish plus make turns tank into black water

I've never used anything but dechlorinator. If the change over is quick and quiet, then the tank light is left off, stress will be at a minimum.

+1 Agreed. I've done a tank upgrade twice now, the most recent last weekend. I emptied some tank water to fill a 10 gal Rubbermaid tub/bucket about halfway and put an air stone and heater in there and put the lid on. I did add some Stress Coat too but if you don't have it it's fine. I then set up the new tank and refilled --using dechlorinator of course-- with the filters, etc., let it circulate a bit (mostly to settle the sand and to let the water come up to temp, I used a new heater for the larger tank) and then netted the fish in. I kept the lights off and didn't feed until the next day. Took a few hours but all fish were fine. I think the hardest part for me was catching the fish each time lol Just do it slowly to minimize stress. Good luck.

would it be wise to recycle the tank water from the original tank to the bigger 1?i plan on seeding via old media & gravel plus let my bio wheels soak in tank for a few weeks before the big day...

Unless you are planning on adding pure ammonia to the tank to keep the bacteria alive letting the media sit in the tank for a few weeks will do nothing without fish. You need an ammonia source within a few days (week at the most) to feed the bacteria.

i plan on putting fish the same day i fill...so no old water to help the boost cycle?

but soaking new bio wheels prehand would work in my favor?should i clean off rocks and decor or leave it be we i switch it over?:thanks:

abstract373 said:
but soaking new bio wheels prehand would work in my favor?should i clean off rocks and decor or leave it be we i switch it over?:thanks:

Soaking them in the new tank before fish? No, the bacteria will just sit idle IMO. You can use the old tank water to rinse off any mulm but preserve the bacteria.

i was saying in tank thats up and running now so it can seed with old water until the day i change over

abstract373 said:
i was saying in tank thats up and running now so it can seed with old water until the day i change over

Ok I think we are in different wavelengths here. Lol. So I'll cover all bases.
Old water will not help seed a new tank at all. Putting all new water in a new tank is fine but you will have to acclimate the fish to the new water from the old.
Letting a tank sit (even with filters on) with seeded media and no fish or bottled ammonia, will do nothing. Eventually the bacteria will die.
To seed a tank you add media, decor or gravel to the new tank and filter but without an ammonia source, from fish or bottled ammonia, it will do nothing.
So in summary there is no point adding anything to the new tank from the old tank until you are ready to add the fish or bottled ammonia.
I hope that answers your question and hasn't confused you. :)

i think it has..plan on putting fish in the same day of set up think it would be cruel to leave them in buckets for a long time...dont want them to bully each other ......thank you for the helpful info :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom