Upgrade cycling inquery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiskeyTrouble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 100 gal bowfront with a modified overflow to run at aprox. 65 gal (to leave room at top). I am upgrading to a 125 gal aquarium which I plan on running full. (Im building an above tank cricket/mangrove terrarium on one side so the fish still have spitting room) Im switch to 2 fluval 305's instead of the sump I have now. I have had the new filter media in my sump for a little over two weeks now and DONT plan on using ANY of the older bio media. (the large bio balls wont work in the cannisters)
My questions are
1.) should i have the media submerged at the bottom of the sump or will the trickle work alright?
2.) how long should I leave it to culture before making the move
3.) how much of a cycle should I expect my new tank to experience?

thanks!

The trickle is probably fine, but your best bet may be to run the new fluvals on the old tank before you make the switch. That way the biological bacteria will be coating every surface inside your new filter. If you can run it that way for two weeks you may not experience much of a cycle at all.
You have a reall headstart by having the media in the sump though, and any surfaces that will transfer over from the old tank to the new (driftwood, hardscape, decor etc) will help as well. Also if you do not increase your bioload until after you know everything is settled it will help a lot.

When I transferred everything from a 55 to a 90 there was only a slight mini-cycle that lasted a week. So plan on a few extra water changes and you will be fine.

I thought about running the fluvals but its just going to create way too much current unless I put the input in the overflow box i guess. It would make for hard feeding times too. Way too much plugging and unplugging. I think you're right I think I will be ok. I have so much rock and wood and plants and snails and sand and seeding media that it shouldnt be too rough. Im deffinately not upping my bio load ever. The fish I have are going to get pretty big and Im assuming that 125 is on the lower end of the requirements anyways. Its been 3 weeks and im taking the plunge next Wednesday.
Thank You
Thank You
Thank You

Back
Top Bottom