Upgrade issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
Petco is about to have the $1 a gallon sale, so I am upgrading my 20 gallon long to a 29 gallon (since it will fit on the current stand, my filter is meant for a 30gal, and top and lights fit as well).
Issue is, that I want the new aquarium to go where the current aquarium is. I plan to use the same substrate as well. Clearly I can't move the filled tank to set up the new one...

So how do you recommend going about this??

Get a clean, aquarium safe 5 gallon bucket and fill it with the 20g tank water. Then put everything in the bucket with the water, including your filter media. Then empty the tank of water using another bucket. Place the rinsed and clean 29g in place and add everything from the bucket to the new tank. I would even add the water to the new tank and fill the rest of the way with fresh water.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's sorta what I was thinking I would do, but I may get several 5 gallon buckets (save as much good water as possible +keep blue lobster separate from fish since its a confined bucket).
This is definitely going to be a difficult project.

I would just put your fish and and any plants you may have in buckets. Filter media wouldn't hurt. Remove the rest of your water, move your 20 gal (with a friend!), then put the prepared 29 gal on the stand. Then you can scoop the substrate out of the old tank and into the new. Plant your plants, put your filter and heater in, then fill with water. Then you can put your fish back in. You don't really need to keep all your old water as long as you change the water regularly. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just upgraded from a 10 gallon to a 33 gallon for my Axolotls. I used a siphon to get most of the water into a bucket, then moved the tank down to the floor (very carefully) with the sand and Axxies still in it. I set up the 33 on the dresser where the old tank was, and acclimated the little guys while I set up new sand and decor. I used all the old water, and mixed it slowly with new water.

Over all it took me an hour and a half to tear apart and set up the new tank.

Okay, so I decided that I will be going with new substrate. Ive got 4 buckets (5 gallon each), and I plan to clean my decor thoroughly before putting it in the new tank (since there's a little algae residue). Next step, is getting to petco at 10am tomorrow when they open for my new tank :)

Woohoo! Make sure you cean in dechlorinated water to preserve your bacteria.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411930776.865072.jpg
Here's the finished project! I pulled some water from my 55 gallon, so I managed to only use about 5 gallons of new water. I am concerned though, because I've got 2 fish showing signs of stress. :( crossing fingers, and since I tend to be paranoid, I'll probably check parameters daily for a while.

Back
Top Bottom