Upgrade to 20g tank - what would be good additional fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bghouse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking about upgrading my small 6g tank to a 20g. I didn't want to go for live plants, as this is a tank at the office and my job requires excessive hours (read as trying to stay somewhat low maintenance).
I currently have 1 neon blue dwarf gourami, 1 bamboo shrimp and a gold-banded pleco I just got as a gift.

Would my male gourami, who I adore, enjoy another male gourami friend to swim with? Can I add an Otocinclus Catfish to combat the diatoms - which are currently rampant in my 6g, so I'm guessing I'll have them again in the 20g? Should I add a second shrimp? I also think puffer fish are so cool, and there is supposedly a South American / Brazilian dwarf puffer that is freshwater and peaceful? Could he join the tank?

My gourami (aka Blu) and the shrimp bring me loads of happiness watching them - so ultimately I want them to be as happy as possible in a new tank. So any advise on additional tankmates would be very helpful.

:D To keep Blue happy, I'd leave him as the solitary gourami. I think a small school of small tetras or barbs would work well in that tank. Hopefully someone with puffer experience can answer that question.

Re: low maintenance. There are many plants you could keep (java fern, anubias, crypts), which do well in low light tanks without any additional work.

I'd strongly recommend against a puffer in that tank - I think they are (in general) best kept in species tanks. They will eat shrimp for sure.

I'll echo BrianNY and suggest a school of tetras or barbs, and you could add quite a few more shrimp, which would be cool, as long as they are not too small beacuse they are at risk of being eaten by the gourami.

Otocinclus would be great in there, but wait quite a while after the tank is set up before adding them.

Poofers are special little (and big) guys that are great, but usually in their own tank (otherwise you might be too mad that he found your shrimp the tastiest thing ever to notice the cute little smile on his face).

I like the idea of the barbs, personally.

There are some plants you could keep in there without any trouble. One I like (and promote perhaps a bit too much) is Hornwort. No need to worry about lighting, it'll be happy no matter what you have. I've got it in with my Golds and Pleco. You can see a picture in my gallery: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5793&size=big&password=&sort=1&cat=500

I think of it as kind of a complex underwater pine tree. All you have to do is toss it in - you don't even have to weight it down, it's just as happy floating. I give you my word, you cannot break this plant no matter what. A good "I'm not sure if I can take care of a plant" plant.

I'm positive you will have diatoms in your 20, but most Plecos find that delicious as far as I know. I'd let the guy you have now do his job.

Back
Top Bottom