Upgrade to canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heck09

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm reworking my 29 gallon and I'm thinking about upgrading to a canister filter, does anyone have a recommendation on a good sized one for that small of a tank? I was thinking of a fluval 406 but I think it may be overkill

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I'm reworking my 29 gallon and I'm thinking about upgrading to a canister filter, does anyone have a recommendation on a good sized one for that small of a tank? I was thinking of a fluval 406 but I think it may be overkill

And I just saw this on eBay, it seems like a great deal but with this low of a price it seems to good to be true, can anyone give me Info on if this is a good product? http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...2627&category=46310&pm=1&ds=0&t=1439056216052

I use fluvals & sunsuns as far as cannisters. Great units. With the 406 on the 29, i dont think its overkill. The more filtration the better. The thing you wanba watch is too powerful a flow. IMO.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And I just saw this on eBay, it seems like a great deal but with this low of a price it seems to good to be true, can anyone give me Info on if this is a good product? http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...2627&category=46310&pm=1&ds=0&t=1439056216052

Okay I ordered one of these canister filters off of Amazon. I hated it and sent it back. It is so hard to prime and I couldn't even get mine to work properly. The fittings are very cheap and the hoses are so hard to work with. It was not what I was looking for. If you want something cheap just know that's what you're getting. It does the job and probably filters fairly well. But its parts are bad quality. And don't get any kit that says it comes with media. The media is complete crap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just looked at that link. I think its ok. Looks like a sunsun or an aquatop, Not sure though. The 265 gph might be a lil low. The companies rate the pump flow only, while cannister is empty. Once you add media it can drastically reduce that rate. Did it say the brand anywhere? I didnt see it.

Okay I ordered one of these canister filters off of Amazon. I hated it and sent it back. It is so hard to prime and I couldn't even get mine to work properly. The fittings are very cheap and the hoses are so hard to work with. It was not what I was looking for. If you want something cheap just know that's what you're getting. It does the job and probably filters fairly well. But its parts are bad quality. And don't get any kit that says it comes with media. The media is complete crap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's what I was thinking they have the fluval 406 for 176 on Amazon I believe so I'll probably go with that

I just looked at that link. I think its ok. Looks like a sunsun or an aquatop, Not sure though. The 265 gph might be a lil low. The companies rate the pump flow only, while cannister is empty. Once you add media it can drastically reduce that rate. Did it say the brand anywhere? I didnt see it.

The flow being to high with the 406 is what I'm worried about its going to be a planted tank so I don't want super high flow

I was considering it but like you said I know bigger filtration is usually better just worried about flow

I was considering it but like you said I know bigger filtration is usually better just worried about flow

Others with planted tanks and canisters have found that drilling extra and/or larger holes in the spray bar helps decrease the velocity (but not the throughput).

How would one achieve that on a 406, fresh? Mine has no spraybar. Just a big output square.

How would one achieve that on a 406, fresh? Mine has no spraybar. Just a big output square.

Oops, I meant to type "canister with spray bar".
With the single output you might be able to direct it towards a corner or side. It won't decrease the output but may affect the flow (pattern) in the tank so that it is less disruptive.

Would it disrupt anything (pump, impeller, etc..) if he tried to lower flow with the aquastop valve?

A big single output won't cause a lot of flow. Think of it like a water hose with no attachment on the end. My Fluval 405 has the wide open spout and doesn't cause a lot of disturbance at all and seems weak, where as my Aquatop CF400 with spray bar can get the plants swaying. Smaller holes on a spray bar will produce stronger pressure, where as larger holes will reduce it.

Jesse

Thanks guys yall have been a huge help

Would it disrupt anything (pump, impeller, etc..) if he tried to lower flow with the aquastop valve?

As per the Fluval docs, it should be okay to adjust using the aquastop valve as long as it is not reduced by a certain amount (50%?). Pumps are fine if one restricts the output but restricting the input can cause problems. In the case of the aquastop valve, both are controlled in the same manner.
I like the open end garden hose analogy. I was just adding water to a small pond and I got less disruption using the FLOOD mode versus some of the others (JET, CENTER).

I ended up ordering one today

Just looked at the link, that is the same exact thing as my Aquatop canister which is just a Sunsun. They're great.

Jesse

Back
Top Bottom