Upgrading Canister Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottishscales

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a Eheim 2211 40gal canister filter that i was using for a 20 gallon square tank. I recently upgraded to a 45gal bowfront and the current filter is working for the few fish i have in this new tank.

I want to add new fish to this tank so i know i will need a bigger filter to handle the bioload.

So my question is this. Can i upgrade my canister to one for say a 100 gallon tank or will it cause too much water disturbance/ too much suction for my 45gal tank?

Also should i stick with the Eheim filter brand or is there something better?

"There's always a bigger fish." - Qui-Gon Jinn

I have a rena xpl in my 40 breeder its rated for like 150 gls i think lol was alot of flow i made a spray bar out of pvc to help with that

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

I have an Eheim 2215 on a 55. I do not think the 2215 would be overbearing on a 45: with the spraybar attached the flow is distributed over a wide area.

Awesome. Thanks guys. Just dont want to over power my tank with too much moving water. I was looking at the 2215 as my new investment so if it works for you dcutl002 i think thats the one i am going with :]

I had a 2215 it's a very sturdy, reliable, and quiet filter. It may have some trapped air in the media after the initial setup but it'll get rid of that itself via the spray bar.

Thanks. I have a 2211 that i absolutely love and it doesnt push alot of water so i wanted to make sure the bigger filter wouldnt cause too much disturbance :]

Back
Top Bottom