Upgrading filters (Marineland Penguin 350B --> Rena XP3)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

.josh.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I asked this question in my thread chronicling my venture into keeping a 55 gallon tank, but it doesn't seem to be too popular at this point, so I thought I'd post this as a separate topic. I figure I won't be the only one looking for an answer to this at some point.

Currently, I have a Marineland Penguin 350B Power Filter, but realized that once my tank residents have matured, it probably won't cut it (according to aqadvisor.com, it wouldn't be sufficient), and since I was able to find a pretty good deal on a new Rena XP3 (gotta love Kijiji), I decided to go for it and should have it in my possession sometime this week.

Obviously, the Rena XP3 will be more than capable of providing adequate filtration for my 55 gallon, so my question is whether I should phase out my 350B (obviously after a period of time), or just use both until I get another tank (something I do plan to do eventually, but probably not within the next few months). There seems to be some debate as to whether two filters are a good idea, as I have read in some places that it prevents either filter from performing optimally, and since I highly respect the opinions of the people in this forum, I wanted to see what you all thought.

This is what I've currently got in my tank:

7 Swordtails (5 female, 2 male) - 3 koi, 2 lyretail, 1 black, 1 gold moon
2 Dwarf Gourami - 1 cobalt, 1 pearl
1 German Blue Ram
3 Albino Cories
1 Albino Bushynose Pleco (small)
6 Khuli Loaches
4 African Dwarf Frogs

Also, any other advice for when I do the upgrade?

I run two marineland 350b's on my 55 and I don't seem to notice any degradation of performance. I think that once you get into a tank as long as a 55 it makes sense to have a filter at both ends. If it were my tank I'd run the 350b on one side and the rena on the other.

I would run both. No disadvantage to overfiltering. If and when the time comes that you get another tank you will have a filter ready with BB to help cycle the new tank. I am presently running a Rena xp1 and a tetra 60 on my 20gal. long..

Back
Top Bottom