Upgrading my old 10g.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toolman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have been thinking about upgrading my 10 gallon tank.
Space is limited, I have a 75 gallon, the 10 gallon, 2 chairs, a coffee table, a dresser and a ? in my app. 10x12 fish/toolman cave.

To replace the 10g I have been looking at a 27 gallon column which is 20x18 (versa top size).
Although not a fan of column tanks because of footprint issues, I like it in this case because of space limitations.

Tank, versa top, & wood stand are $219 @lfs in a combo. Because of space no room for hob, thinking of Fluval 206 canister with 200gph flow. Got in mind pressurized co2 in future (nice wood cabinet to hide it and canister.

Undecided on lighting think a finnex 24/7 planted+ (have on 75 and[emoji173] ) would be to intense and don't want to turn off 24/7 to dim.

Substrate to be pool filter sand and heavily planted with dwarf sag. foreground. The rest of plants undecided.

Planned stock to be 4 endlers, 10 pygmy cory's, 3 mystery snails from current tanks plus 10-12 least killifish (I'm crazy for livebearers, cory's and[emoji222] )

If you're still reading I'm also considering other size tanks and configurations.

Sorry for the windy post but as my friend once told me "...your a social animal. " lol[emoji5]

Any opinions, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I think with the fish you're considering a column tank would be ok. I'm personally not a fan of column tanks because it seems like fish tend to swim more distance than height but corys will stay at the bottom, snails are happy anywhere. Endlers will stay near the top but they're so small they should be fine. I'm not experienced with killifish but they're also small. Do they swim at the top, would they be competing for space with the endlers? Either way they'll have more space than they do now in the 10g right?

I don't have the least killifish yet, they're also called dwarf livebearers, Formosa livebearers and aren't actually a killifish. They're nano fish which I'm not real experienced with is part of the reason for this post. The 27 gallon column is basically a
10 gallon tank with more depth front to back which would make it more stable(grandchildren) and ideal for planting. But will have limited options, but snails and nano fish should do all right.

Ah gotcha. I was thinking column tanks were the ones with a small base but a lot of height. Seems like a fun idea for a tank. I don't have any experience with the nano fish but it seems like it would work.

Thanks for your reply, yeah I think in this instance it will be good.
Want to raise mystery snails and least killifish fry because my family enjoys livebearers and fry.

Was really hoping for more responses, but really appreciate your feedback.

Thinking of going with a 40b and Fluval C series filter instead, does anyone have any advice or opinions on this?

I'm going to price this out at lfs this week.

Agreed the money I spend on the 40b will be more, but get extra tank length so more fish options. (still going with least killifish, pygmy Cory, endlers and mystery snails)

Will save with the c-series because I now have room for a hob, so I don't have to have a canister.

Back
Top Bottom