Upgrading my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I currently have a 10 gallon glo-fish setup that's been operating for about a year with the following stock:

2 Zebra Danios
3 White Skirt Tetras
1 Tiger Barb

I also have a Sailfin Pleco ~ 10" and growing that I'd like to put in the tank with the glo-fish.

I'm wanting to upgrade the 10 gallon to a 55 gallon breeder tank and I was hoping for some suggestions on future stocking. Will my Pleco thrive in a tank of this size?

I'm wanting to move away from the glo-fish theme (I currently have the glo-fish branded gravel, fake plants, blue LED lighting, glow-in-the-dark decor, etc.) and do a natural aquascape with some plants, driftwood, and rocks. I don't want to overstock the tank though, and I know the Pleco will add a lot to the bioload. Any advice is appreciated!

Yes the pleco will do much better in a bigger tank. He sounds really big and I would hit the planted tank forum for info on how to choose plants he won't uproot. You may also want to look at rehoming him. He really needs no less than a 70g tank to be able to move properly. The rest will do great in the new tank

Yes the pleco will do much better in a bigger tank. He sounds really big and I would hit the planted tank forum for info on how to choose plants he won't uproot. You may also want to look at rehoming him. He really needs no less than a 70g tank to be able to move properly. The rest will do great in the new tank

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the planted tank forum for advice on my plants. I really don't want to rehome the pleco. I had a 55g tank picked out, but I may go ahead and get a 70g instead.

plecos indeed like the room. I would not put them in anything less then 55gal . aside of poor tank size IMHO plecos are poor match for the radioactive glowing fish.
bigger always better when one has the room, but between the 55 and 70 I would look at dimensions - with the same 48" footprint I'd rather go wider then taller. what are the dims on that 70g?

as far as bioload don't worry, you can can have quite a stock in 55g< compared to 10g, especially planted.

plecos indeed like the room. I would not put them in anything less then 55gal . aside of poor tank size IMHO plecos are poor match for the radioactive glowing fish.
bigger always better when one has the room, but between the 55 and 70 I would look at dimensions - with the same 48" footprint I'd rather go wider then taller. what are the dims on that 70g?

as far as bioload don't worry, you can can have quite a stock in 55g< compared to 10g, especially planted.

I haven't looked for a 70 gallon tank yet. I had originally planned on getting a 55 gallon that is 50.62L x 14.87W x 23.12H inches. What are the disadvantages of putting him in a larger tank with glo-fish? I'll have to completely redo my stocking if I don't put the glo-fish and the pleco together, which is something that I can do if needed. Alternatively, I could leave the glo-fish in the 10 gallon and start over with the larger tank and pleco.

Update: Today I went to Petco for some supplies and I saw this beauty sitting in the back all by itself, marked on clearance for $89. It's a 75 gallon! I just have to get some lids for it and I'll be able to set it up!

And there you have it, tank of a serious size :) congrats. Now build yourself a sturdy stand , that's a lot of water

I am excited! I'm going to keep the glo-fish in their 10 gallon. I just have to come up with a plan for this new tank. I have to get it cycled and ready for the pleco. If he ever does outgrow this one, it'll be a good reason to go get a bigger tank. I've had the glo-fish for a year. They've become a bit boring, so I think I want to look stocking it with larger fish.

Back
Top Bottom