Upgrading tank from 20 gal to 29 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flipz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey everyone, I just have a quick question. i am considering "upgrading" my tank from a 20 gal to a 29 gal.

if i use a gravel vac to move the water from 1 tank to the other, and if i bag up the substrate under water, move it to the other tank and release it under water, and then switch the HOB filter over (yes it's enough gph filter) would i have to worry about the nitrogen cycle? or should i be ok?

thanks!

-brent

As shawmutt said you should be fine. One question though. Why stop at a 29 why not go to a 55? The bigger the better. :wink:

I agree, your black fin shark (or columbian shark) will grow to 10 inches and will quickly outgrow a 29g, if possible get a 55. Your tank is brackish right?

I almost bought a 55! haha. the LFS had a 55 gallon tank, light, and hood on sale for $99 this week. however the reason im not going that high is because i am a college student, and the tank is moved at minimum twice a year. going that large is almost impossible that this point. i do know that the columbian will continue to grow, which is why im going bigger at this point. as soon as possible i will be going to 55 or larger, once i stop moving around so much!

and yes it is brackish.

thanks guys!

-brent

You will be fine moving it that way :D
My fiance and I move (as graduate students--not as often as you), but that hasn't stopped us from upgrading and buying too many tanks :roll:
Play it safe and up grade as needed :wink:

Back
Top Bottom